Post comics.
Joost

Re: Semmie the Forest gnome [Updated 11 sept]

Post by Joost » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:22 pm

Thanks Michael!

Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:22 pm

I agree with the above - there's a distinctly European style to the work that's lacking in a lot of contemporary work (and I don't just say that because you're Dutch!) I personally idolize the seminal European artists, like Hergé, Belial, Moebius, Hugo Pratt... nowadays they're seen as somewhat passé, unfortunately; everyone tries to emulate the Japanese. I think going your own route like this is pretty gutsy - keep it up!

--M
Image Image

Joost

Post by Joost » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:38 am

I think going your own route like this is pretty gutsy - keep it up!
Thanks M! I really needed that! Lately I feel like I'm not improving enough, so your positive response was more than welcome! :D

Joost

Post by Joost » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:13 pm

Page 1 + text!

I thought it would be a good plan to start colouring and lettering from page 1 instead of starting with the pages I find more enjoyable to colour. Because I didn’t colour page 14 to 19 in CMYK but in RGB, I will have to redo most of the colouring. So I thought if I had to start all over again I’d better do it right and start at page 1 and also include all the text.

This page only has 3 lines of text but next ones will have a bit more. I wasn't to happy with the text I had made for this comic so I figured doing it this way kinda forces me to think about it and make a decision.

So here it is, page 1 including text!

Oh and all comments or critiques are welcome!

Mr. Average

Re: Semmie the Forest gnome [Updated 7 okt]

Post by Mr. Average » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:48 pm

The art, especially the color, is very clean. The typeface, though, is too mechanical - the contrast is too much, considering the easier, more natural style to the artwork. I know you may not have liked it, but I'd love to see the original test you had worked up anyway, just to see how it contrasts.

Frankly, I think this would look best hand-lettered, though that can take a good deal of testing and (maybe) some different tools. When I letter architectural drawings by hand (which is very rare these days) I use a flat-tip 1/2mm calligraphic nib, as it gives the best set of thick verticals and thin horizontals. I use the same for comics, but admittedly that's getting much rarer for me these days as well. You might like it, though - hand-lettering has an interesting feel to it compared to the computer.

On the other hand, a set of computer fonts I've had success with is the "Komika" suite. I forget where I found it but it was free and open-license, and was of most interest because it had non-Anglic letter and accent combinations built in (it was designed by Europeans for B-D work in French and Iberian languages). It has a very natural look. There is also a font called "Anime Ace" that's pretty popular, but I've lost my taste for it lately as it's been overused, and looks a little too sharp for what I aim at these days, and it would not be quite right here, I think.

Otherwise, I think the page is consistent with the rest of these pieces - slick and very steady, with a strong color palette. A question I've been asking recently applies here, too: do you construct this entirely in the computer or is it hand-drawn?

--M
Image Image

Joost

Post by Joost » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:54 pm

Thanks M! You are probably right about the text being better of if it were hand-lettered. The thing is my hand-lettering skills are not at a level that I would feel confident to use just yet. Until then I figured I would use a computer font. I'm going to check out those fonts you mentioned, I picked this one because it is already on my computer and I couldn't find a better one on the web (needle in a haystack).

To answer your question, this is hand-drawn and inked. I used a tutorial by Tony Cliff to separate the line work from the background and coloured it all in Photoshop. A few details are drawn in Photoshop. For the next comic I'm going to leave this technique though and do the lines in pencil, like I did on the illustration I posted in the illustration lounge.

Joost

Post by Joost » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:55 am

It took a while for this page to get done, but I finally did it. There were a lot of things this week that took a lot more extra time than I had anticipated. So I finished this page a few days later than I actually planned.
The text balloons also took me a lot more time to get right, but in the process I’ve also learned a lot and that is something I will benefit from in the future.

@M: Thanks for the link to the font website, I'm going to spend sometime there this weekend to try and find a suitable font for this comic. I found the Komika font, looks good but is not quit what I am looking for. Until I find the right font I 'm going to stick with the old one.

Here's page 2 and don't forget, comments and critique are more than welcome!

Joost

Re: Semmie the Forest gnome [Updated 16 okt]

Post by Joost » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:57 pm

After my little sidestep with the 6-commando guest-art I am back on my own project Semmie the Forest Gnome. On this page Semmie finds out he is a forest gnome and decides immediately to go live in the forest.

This was one of the first pages I made and now I finally colored it and put the text in. I think I should have taken more time to let Semmie come to this decision. Well sometimes you just have to go on and apply all those things you learned on the next story.

I have found a typeface better suited to this comic then the one I was using before (Thanks M. for suggesting the font website), hope you all like it.

I really appreciate any comment or critique.

Joost

Long way down

Post by Joost » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:33 am

When I started on this page I thought to myself: "Ha, coloring this one is going to be easy! There are only a few figures on it; actually it's mostly the main character. And the background is striped wallpaper! Easy!”
Somehow this page is finished 2 days later than planned and I can't point out any obvious reason for this delay.

On this page Semmie makes a rash decision (Hey another one? It must be in his nature or something!) to leave the shelf he and the other dolls are sitting on so he can start the search for the way to the forest.

Here it is, hope you like it. Any comment and/or critique is very welcome.

Mr. Average

Re: Semmie the Forest gnome [Updated 4 nov]

Post by Mr. Average » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:21 am

This is a very well-composed page. The progression of the last few panels is particularly strong graphically, so much so that I think you could get away with making them entirely silent. In my opinion I'd cut the dialogue short with the line (slightly modified) "Do you think he's crazy enough to...?" The progression of action thereafter speaks for itself. Someone made a similar comment about another comic on the forum (Steamvolt, I think?) - that really strong art and composition as here can be enhanced by letting it work alone.

The last panel, by the way, is really good - the gesture, composition, the leading shape of the panel and the lines of motion are all really clearly assembled.

Good work!

--M
Image Image

Joost

Re: Semmie the Forest gnome [Updated 4 nov]

Post by Joost » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:11 am

Thanks M.! (Sorry for the late response, I had to do a lot of house hold chores this week.) I'm glad you like the composition, I wasn't quite sure if the long panels would work or if they would just make the page awkward to read. I'm also glad you like the last panel, I really like the way it turned out.

Leaving out the text in the last panels is a good idea, I'm gonna try that this week see if I like it.

Joost

PAF!

Post by Joost » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:33 pm

Here it is page 5 of Semmie the forest gnome. The story is now really taking of and I can’t wait to start on the next few pages. Also because there are some “shots” in there that I am really proud of and I very anxious to see what they will look like in color.

Please let me know what you think!

Joost

Re: Semmie the Forest gnome [Updated 17 dec]

Post by Joost » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:40 am

New Year new page!
I am very happy with this page, panel 5 in particular where you look at the hallway from above in perspective. The line drawing was one of my favorites, but it’s just amazing in color. The striped wallpaper really helped creating depth in this panel.

Keen to hear what you think.

Mr. Average

Re: Semmie the Forest gnome [Updated 8 jan]

Post by Mr. Average » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:15 pm

The art is particularly strong on this page, so much so that, if I had to make one critique, it'd be to repeat an earlier comment I made that the page could stand almost on its own, with nearly no dialogue at all. The colors seem somehow sharper here, though it might be my imagination, and the layout is very good, and reads very smoothly. I think it reads exceptionally clearly as a silent page - something worth trying.

On the other hand, I wouldn't go so far as to say the whole STORY should be silent - that can get overwhelming, too! It's all a balance.

In any event, I look forward to seeing more soon!

--M
Image Image

Joost

Re: Semmie the Forest gnome [Updated 8 jan]

Post by Joost » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:46 pm

Thanks M.! You are not the only one pointing out that this comic would read better with less dialogue. I haven't had time to try it but I am saving all these comments and implement them later to see how it reads.

About the colors being sharper, you are probably right. My wife (who is a graphic designer) pointed out that a Photoshop file should be imported in an illustrator file instead of being opened with illustrator and then saved as illustrator file, because it might mess-up the colors. And as you might have guessed I have been opening my Photoshop files with illustrator up to now. So there's another thing to change when I'm done.

Thanks again!