Tarzan

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
em...

Tarzan

Post by em... » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:31 pm

So...

I just finished reading the book "Tarzan of the Apes" by Edgar Rice Burroughs, after Phil and Rick Cortes recommended it. I always meant to before, but just never got round to it.

I have to admit that I was a little surprised at how different it is to any movie or TV version.

I actually did this about a month before I read the book, but (with a few minor misgivings) I still think it's a pretty faithful representation. I'm glad I gave him the hunting knife, 'cause it turns out that's pretty important to the story - lucky fluke, I just saw it in a J Allen St John illustration, and kind of liked it.

The left foot is a tad wonky. :?

bigg

Post by bigg » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:35 pm

i really like the facial expression. i think the foot would be fine if it were pointing more outward. nice one em.

wes
BigG
"I twist a blitz so quick it turns to roach clips/ New nicks get picked/ oh SHIT i need another hit/ I sip Sipps while two full clips spit hollow tips/ As I raise the guns up off my hips/ Now who you fukin with?"
http://www.wesleygunn.com

em...

Post by em... » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:25 pm

Thanks. the angle of the foot is deliberate - I kind of wanted it to look as if he'd shifted position slightly. Maybe it didn't work :?

The toes are all wrong, though - I'm not much cop at drawing bare feet.

bannister

Post by bannister » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:46 pm

I like the look, the facial expression and the work on the muscles. But I agree with bigg about the feet, wich distort the leg.

But where does he put his knife back when he isn't using it ?:roll:

Biocreep

Post by Biocreep » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:56 pm

wow! really nice!

i agree with the foot crit, i like it turned in but that would change how the leg is situated also

post more!

sideache

Post by sideache » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:49 pm

I'm not so sure I agree with the comments about turning the foot out. It seems that he would have better balance with it turned in ever so slightly. He would have a better grip on the branch that way. Though I do agree that the relationship with the lower leg and the foot need to be adjusted. Good work

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:28 am

I agree. The position's fine. It's just a scale issue... the lower leg needs to be bigger, or it needs clearer foreshortening. As it is, it looks too short in relation to the foot.

scout

Post by scout » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:26 am

hey em,
i really like the pic. about the foot- i think it might be the lack of an ankle that's causing the trouble. i can see that you intended for one, but it needs to be more pronounced, i think. i run into the same trouble with my own drawings. In this angle i think the heel would be slightly visible behind the ankle, in which case the "big toe" should be at a little of a different angle. That's about it from my point of view. The expression is great!
i am- the Urban Hermit.

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:10 am

On the technical side I can't add anything to whats been said. Except to say foreshortening can be an ARSE, the number of times I almost gone crazy dealing with foreshortening issues is countless.

I love his expression, the eyes are so piercing, his face keeps pulling me back in to that area of the page. Nice work.

em...

Post by em... » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:58 pm

Thanks to all for the comments.

Kazu's right - the foreleg is too short. Probably what happens when you hang around with apes :D

Phil

Post by Phil » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:39 pm

Excellent--and the foreleg doesn't look too short to me. It's just that his heel is too high up. Erase that bit of heel sticking out, and it'll look good.

Great definition on the muscles--and perfect facial expression! :)

em...

Post by em... » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:43 am

You may be right about that heel, Phil. Cheers