Amulet Is Indeed Out

General Discussion
thirdeyeh

Amulet Is Indeed Out

Post by thirdeyeh » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:36 pm

I just called my local Barnes and Noble and Amulet is on the shelves. I also just ordered my hardcover copy today. I don't think I'll be able to wait to go down to the local bookstore and give it look though!

Cities

Post by Cities » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:08 pm

Wasn't the street date much later than now, though?

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:13 am

it could be that it was decided it was ready for a pre-christmas release date, or a glitch in the B&N database that it was available, or it could also be that they broke the street date. Eitherway, i have a discount coupon and a membership to B&N, so i'm real tempted right now.

marco

Post by marco » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:17 pm

just bought mine at borders...wow. just amazing work Kazu.
marco-magallanes.blogspot.com/

rohwer

Post by rohwer » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:30 pm

thanks thirdeyeh, I just got mine, but I have not had a chance to read it yet (I'm at work).

Kazu- I think this is your best work yet. Now I understand why it took as long as it did.

-Rohwer

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:03 pm

I just sat down and read the whole thing... I loved it. Th opening prologue was such a well executed scene. The only thing I was bummed to see was that the wallpaper image of the house on the rock was only a single page, simply because of how beautiful the double page spread was.

I look forward to many re-reads and seeing book 2 take shape.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:41 pm

Glad you guys like it! I'm really trying to step things up with book 2. I learned a lot while making this first one...

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:59 am

The paperback is available at Chapters as well (for all you Canadians out there). I think I might wait until the Hardcover comes out... although it's tempting...

rybosomes

Post by rybosomes » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:03 pm

I got my hardcover edition from Amazon yesterday. It looks great, I've only read the prologue so far, looking forward to sitting down with it later.

William Ward

Post by William Ward » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:19 pm

Just ordered, nothing local here yet (small place). Looking forward to it.

Vince

Post by Vince » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:18 pm

It's out? Holy shit, why am I not at Comic Relief right now?

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:57 pm

Finally got time to go buy a paperback edition at Borders, read it and loved it; Miskit's expressions were great! I got a gift card from our librarian for Barnes & Noble, so I'll have to get a hardcover soon, thank you so much for what you do.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:08 pm

I got my hardback edition in the mail today and I gotta say that I highly recommend it over the paperback. It's only $5 more on amazon and it's very well done. Great work Kazu. I look forward now to a second more paced reading. I was so excited when it I first read it that I went right through it!

angry_black_guy

Post by angry_black_guy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:52 pm

I signed up for this forum for the sole reason of posting my opinion on this wonderful piece of work...

First I'm apalled that every bookstore I went to has this crammed into some bottom shelf in the "kiddie" section of the bookstore. I even went as far as to remove it from the kids section and place it in the manga section (knowing full well that most of the customers who browse the DC/Marvel filled graphic novel section probably wouldn't bat a lash). Sure enough, a day later all six copies were gone from the store and the cashier said they have a new shipment on order. You can thank me later :D

Second, I love this work. Out of everything I've read I.E. all the short comics on your website and the short stories that appear in Flight, I loved The Orange Grove the most because it's subject and style appealed to me. I don't want to say you went for a more minimalistic approach because it just doesn't have that same tone, but you have this knack of never including details unless they're 100% called for and that only served to make TOG richer in my eyes. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Amulet followed closely (in terms of style) to that one particular piece of work.

Third, you know how to write children. I'm not a professional so I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but very few writers seem to know how to inherently write children's dialog. They're almost always approached as tiny, slightly naive adults which is plain wrong but kids are fueled primarily by emotion and Amulet conveyed this almost perfectly. At first I was afraid you would include the flowery uppercase/lowercase lettering but I was overjoyed to see familiar block letters(I'm really biased against anything that's not block lettering; my first comic book was Bone #1 almost 17 years ago so I grew up on that).

Amulet is fantastic work, Mr. Kibuishi. So fantastic that I stopped reading the latest The League of Incredible Gentlemen just to finish Amulet and I never abandon a good piece of Moore work like that. This is Eisner material, and I certainly hope more people witness that. It's nice to see a "family oriented" piece of graphic literature without having it talk down to you or assume you're stupid.

The hardest part now is waiting for volume 2...

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:45 pm

Actually I think moving the copies of Amulet out of the kid's section is against what Scholastic and possibly Kazu intended when going into this venture. They want to aim it at kids and appeal to that audience. Your bookstore didn't screw up. That's where it was supposed to go. Though it is cool that it sold out on the manga shelves. Maybe copies should be put in both areas?