Calling New Yorkers

General Discussion

Dontcha wish you hung out with more cartoonists?

Sure, ya
No votes
Nah, they smell
No votes
No way, they're everywhere! I need to get away!
100%

Total votes: 2

slavidzee

Calling New Yorkers

Post by slavidzee » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:31 am

This is a dual-purpose post.
First, I wonder who on these forums is planning to attend Scott McCloud's book launch at Midtown Comics Sept 5th? As comic creators/ Flight fans in NYC, would y'all like to meet up for Dinner that night?

Second, if you make comics as a hobby or fulltime, do you have enough community here? I've been wanting to connect with other people who are trying to do thoughtful and creative comics quite some time. I've searched high and low, and haven't found any groups or clubs here in NYC. Maybe we can discuss possibilities?

Cheers, and see y'all Sept 5th!
You are what you do repeatedly

goRaina

Post by goRaina » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:38 pm

there are tons of groups that meet up here. a good place to start is MoCCA, the museum of comic and cartoon art, which hosts tons of events, parties, and art festival, and galleries. http://www.moccany.org

i've always felt like new york city had an amazing cartooning community...it's part of what's kept me here for so long!

slavidzee

Post by slavidzee » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:38 pm

Yeah good, point, a Mocca event would be a good place to network at.
You are what you do repeatedly

Ayo

Post by Ayo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:31 pm

Hey, will you indulge me just one moment, please, for real, not for nothing...

This Wednesday evening...and EVERY first Wednesday evening of EVERY month, the group called House of Twelve www.houseoftwelve.com meets at McCarthy's Bar in Manhattan (2nd Avenue @ 20th Street) for a comics jam.

Everybody is welcome.

I repeat, no for real, I insist. EVERY CARTOONIST IS WELCOME! Come on down, it's totally free and totally fun. I've been going for a year and a half straight, and it's changed my life.

I'll be there this Wednesday and you'll get to crack jokes with some of New York's wildest cartoonists.

You HAVE to come.

:)
I can't fly.

Ayo

Post by Ayo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:33 pm

For emphasis: skill level is irrelevent.

We have beginners who've never drawn a comic before and we have professional cartoonists. House of Twelve wants you all!
I can't fly.