fighting hurricanes with comics

General Discussion
becky

fighting hurricanes with comics

Post by becky » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:35 am

I just read this on the Meathaus forum, i thought i'd post it here too. everyone probably has heard about the horrible horrible shit happening in new orleans, and down south because of hurricane katrina and a bunch of insane, anarcho-lunatics.

actually yesterday i was so upset i didn't get all of my work done yesterday, i couldn't really concentrate. anyway i read about this, and besides donating to a relief fund, i mean it's something i (and a lot of you) can do a little. i mean, comics..? i don't think it has to be new either, if you're like me and are short on time. i might rehash one i've done for meathaus, do new lettering or something. anyway thought it was worth sharing.

Blank Label Comics is hosting a webcomic telethon to aid victims of Hurricane Katrina. It will be held the week of Sept. 12 at www.webcomictelethon.com. (webcomictelethon dot com) Actual dates are to be announced later

Brad Guigar, who has organized previous webcomics telethons benefitting MDA (http://mda.altbrand.com/01mda.shtml), is organizing the event.

All of the revenue generated from site advertising, donations, and proceeds from merchandise bought
through the site will be donated to the Red Cross to help in disaster relief.

The site will be updated several times during the course of the telethon with new comics, encouraging readers to come back often to see the new strips and donate money when their favorites are displayed.

If you'd like to participate, please do the following:

(1) Contact Brad Guigar at [email protected] (bguiar at yahoo dot com) and tell him you will be participating. This will help us plan the event.

(2) Do a comic. Now. It doesn't have to be about hurricanes or disasters or the importance of charity... but those themes are appreciated. The final should be no wider than 600 pixels. Any depth is fine. Do not include a large title, in the image... that will be included in a text line under your comic, linked back to your site.

(3) Send your comic to [email protected]. GIF, PNG and JPEG are all acceptable formats. In your e-mail, include your name(s), the title of your strip, and your URL.

(4) Spread the word. Watch www.webcomictelethon.com (webcomictelethon dot com) for banners and buttons to use to start alerting your readers. Blog about it. Post it on your sites. Get the word out.

Thanks!

--Brad
life aint nothin but comics and money

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:21 am

See I dont think our community could affect the overall relief efforts....But I think it could help anyone that is a member of our communities...then....then that money might make a better difference. It's not discrimination...just the brutal truth. Most of us artists dont have much to give and are financially on the edge, that we could be in that situation ourselves.
Chad Townsend

RentAHero

Post by RentAHero » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:24 am

ChadTHX1138 wrote:See I dont think our community could affect the overall relief efforts.
:cry: Every little bit helps!

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:51 pm

Yes it does help...but not my point.

Look how many movie stars are all on the concert relief bandwagon etc. and people are going to give to thier efforts (I'm donating to a food drive in my neighborhood in Houston). We cant raise that kind of cheese with a couple of forums, we can however group together and help a member and make a significant difference. see my point?

I suggest seeing on both the Board and Flight who we have had the priveledge of posting with that was affected by the hurricane and giving to them.
Chad Townsend

becky

Post by becky » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:32 pm

i totally don't get what you're saying.

anyway, i think it's a cool idea with a lot of potential, and if enough people step up to it, it could not only be beneficial financially, but also to the comic community in general. especially, like you said, since many of us just don't have that much money to donate. it's nice that there is an opportunity to help out doing what we do best- comics!

anyway. i just think your syntax is a little confusing. you make it seem like being on a disaster relief 'bandwagon' is a bad thing.

ChadTHX1138

Post by ChadTHX1138 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:17 pm

Yeah I stink at taxes...

Helping GOOOOD, Lets help fellow forum members who be stuck....ug. Better?
Chad Townsend

becky

Post by becky » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:22 pm

are there any stuck forum members?

i'm down for helpin everyone actually. go red cross!
http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate3/

neil

Post by neil » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:22 pm

I couldn't concentrate either.

Maybe we could also do a Flight print sale or something? With all profits going to the Red Cross?
Last edited by neil on Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:22 pm

I'm having a hard time getting anything done, as well.

Whatever you guys wanna do, I'm in.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:38 pm

You know, that webcomics telethon thing doesn't feel quite right for me. Although I am sure it will help raise more funds, something about it seems self-serving and disingenuous. I'd like to do what I can to help, but I don't know if sending more money to the Red Cross will help much at the moment, what with more than 10 billion dollars in federal guilt- I mean aid- going over there right now. Reminding ourselves that we can do something for a good cause is a good thing, however, and so Amy and I were discussing what cause might be a good one to raise funds for. Perhaps a cause that is flying farther under the radar right now... It can help alleviate the feeling we have in our collective gut, and also utilize whatever funds we have more effectively.

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:20 am

I agree with Kazu. And not just because it's his forum. Anything so high-profile in the news is bound to get lots of people throwing money at it. Not that it isn't money well spent- but unless you've got some special skills to lend the people in need (like being a doctor) or you know someone over there we could help out, a few dozen half-broke webcomickers can't make much of a difference. An equally worthy cause that isn't so much in the news might be better- especially if it's something ongoing that will still be an issue by the time everyone gets themselves organized and figures out where the money is actually coming from.

Just to pull an issue out of the air, what about something to do with literacy? Or libraries? Most of us make books or would like to, right? And comics count as quality literature (the correct answer is 'yes'). So that seems like something everyone here could get behind. Not that I have any idea HOW to do anything about literacy. Suggestions? Disagreements?

Jonathon Dalton
A Mad Tea-Party

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:39 am

Hmm... Kazu and I have been discussing this a lot. I made an art auction on my site to donate the money to the red cross. The way I see it, the red cross is one of the highest rated charities in the world and any money they get can be used in other ways besides helping Katrina victims. Either way, it wouldn't hurt. I can see jdalton and kazu's point about it not really making much of a difference, but I guess my logic now is I can donate the auction money to the red cross... and then I can also do an art auction to benefit someone else a little later.

If it's something like a major newsworthy disaster, and if it brings up people's compassion to want to do something like donate, I think that's great, even if it's over kill because for the rest of the year this many people won't be this hyped to donate money to relief charities. I just don't see the harm in doing these kinds of things, especially if the organization does other telethons to benefit other charities (like the webcomic telethon benefitting MD... which I'm not 100% sold on the webcomic telethon idea either in terms of effectiveness).

There's lots of charities that I'd like to donate to, I'm taking this opportunity to see how selling art online goes. You know... just for fun! If it goes well I'd like to hold more in the future for those other charities~ and... yeah.

hai

Post by hai » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:01 pm

I've been watching Schindler's List a few days back and I remember the line "Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire."

So I suppose it doesn't really matter where, when, how, or whom you will help out. The only thing that matters is that you help. And I suppose that it is as noble a deed to give a sandwich to the homeless person you see everyday as to give the red cross some money.

And if you're deciding on which cause to support, I'd like to suggest helping Unicef in its many programs of education and disease-prevention in third world countries, because it pays to invest in someone's future. :wink:
http://www.Homanga.com
Alternative Manga for the Poor Otaku

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:30 pm

I just wanted to say...

If you've even helped one person, then you've made a big difference.

Lets do something for these people.

Dek

Post by Dek » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:08 pm

becky wrote:you make it seem like being on a disaster relief 'bandwagon' is a bad thing.
It kind of is - not that charitability is bad, it's just that every few months there's another fad disaster, and then every other one gets ignored. Look at the tsunami - a huge relief fund was set up, and then every other fund in the world suffers because they're not part of the tsunami. AIDS, Cancer, Child Labour, all kinds of things were still happening during that time. Plus, it's (sometimes) just donating because then you can say without a guilty heart "I'm helping something urgent!".

Fad charitability - think of a company that holds a gala with a silent auction to raise money for the tsunami. The company's also promoting their image - even charity has it's payoffs. I'd say just donate to the Red Cross or UNICEF. They'll know what do with it.