Kung Fu Hustle

Discuss films.
Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:40 am

I saw Kung Fu Hustle recently, and I liked it a lot. I was a little dissapointed because it didn't seem to have as much plot, or even jokes, as Chow's past movies, but it was still enjoyable for sure.

The more I thought about it, the more I appreciated the film. It truly is Stephen Chow's kung fu movie. Shoaolin Soccer, God of Cookery, King of Comedy, etc all had elements of martial arts parody in them, but essentially they were about Soccer, or Cooking, or whatever. This one really was more of a kung fu movie about kung fu movies. And in the tradition of many kung fu movies, it was mostly action, little plot. What made it stand out is that the action was quirky, and funny, and really, really good. It was a lot of Kung Fu, and not so much Hustle, I guess, and I was expecting (from experience in his last few films) a movie about dancing that had some Kung Fu in it.

So yeah, I liked it a lot still. My favorite part was probably the whole accidental knife stabbing scene. "Who's throwing handles!?" ha ha ha
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Monk

Post by Monk » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:25 pm

My girlfriend, when she saw my reaction to the trailer before 'House of Flying Daggers, "Okaaaaay, we can see this. But you owe me." Would you believe I still have yet to see Shaolin Soccer? :oops:

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:09 pm

Monk wrote:My girlfriend, when she saw my reaction to the trailer before 'House of Flying Daggers, "Okaaaaay, we can see this. But you owe me." Would you believe I still have yet to see Shaolin Soccer? :oops:
See it. That's an order. :P
Visit the Tragic Planet!

agremar

Post by agremar » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:32 am

I think Kung Fu Hustle is much better than Shaolin Soccer. The fight scenes are better, and there isn't quite as much slow exposition that at times felt pointless in Shaolin. Also, the special FX are much more nuanced and well done. Some of the things I thought they could have taken further, like all these masters coming out of the wood-work and having various showdowns, but I thought it still highly entertaining.

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:55 am

My copy of the dvd should be on the way.

www.drunkenmaster.tv

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:05 pm

agremar wrote:I think Kung Fu Hustle is much better than Shaolin Soccer. The fight scenes are better, and there isn't quite as much slow exposition that at times felt pointless in Shaolin. Also, the special FX are much more nuanced and well done. Some of the things I thought they could have taken further, like all these masters coming out of the wood-work and having various showdowns, but I thought it still highly entertaining.
Agreed. This movie is almost like a kung fu Looney Tunes episode. Better than Shaolin Soccer. Thanks for the info Joey, I'll have to see if Netflix has any of Chow's earlier work.
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

Tony

Post by Tony » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:27 pm

Kung Fu Hustle is absolutely amazing in the way it brings honest-to-goodness Looney Tunes gags to life. Gah! I can't say enough good things about it.

I managed to pick up an excellent-quality DVD in Chinatown for about five bucks (of dubious legality, of course). I imagine anyone in a major west-coast city could do the same.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:30 pm

Wow. I 100% enjoyed this film! I don't think I had so much fun in the theater this year so far! Just hilarious in the most random way. Kung Fu master that was also a fairy? That had me in stitches.

I watched Shaolin Soccer again last weekend and quickly realized how long that one took to get started. Kung Fu Hustle is like the best parts of "Soccer" turned into one giant movie.

Good times, guys. Good times.
My name is Dave.