the short list...

Post illustrations, animation, graphic design, sketches, etc.
uminthecoil

the short list...

Post by uminthecoil » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:29 am

My friend Evan is an avid, prodigious maker of lists, cataloging any and every thing of interest...I found this - one of his many lists of words one afternoon and decided it’d be a curious exercise...

Andrew

Skeane

cool pic

Post by Skeane » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:22 am

Cool pic; what does evan do with all these lists?

Captain Uglyhead

Re: cool pic

Post by Captain Uglyhead » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:29 pm

Skeane wrote:Cool pic; what does evan do with all these lists?
I bet he's probably going to compare them and combine the best elements into a "Master List", and then... maybe something about timetables, spreadsheets, and finally, glorious profits!

But then again, I'm just wildly guessing here.
It follows the continuity of the third Ziganokum movie. It stars Shrub Mikanore as Ziganokum and Bizzorum. With Johothin Griggor as Nebulox.

Siftland

Post by Siftland » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:36 pm

Awesome stuff. Very nice drawing and color. You took a mundane list of things and turned it into something interesting to look at. The layout is good and each panel stands alone as well.

The only confusion for me was the border between trees and cars/houses. I had to look at it for a while to understand why there was a giant floating tree in the background. But I figured it out.

uminthecoil

Post by uminthecoil » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:22 am

Skeane - thanks...
Evan doesn’t do anything with them, in particular...to him, they’re partly an exercise and partly something altogether personal...he makes all of his journals by hand, gorgeous book-binding skills...a whole thrift-store suitcase full of hand-made journals with some of most inspired and endearing writing in them...I’ve been one of the few privileged to actually read through some of those, and I’m really itching to illustrate them some day...the lists he does just appear out of nowhere in between other streams of conscious writing.

Captain uglyhead - heh...yeah, a master-list...:)

siftland - thankyou
Andrew

marco

Post by marco » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:05 am

really nice composition and drawing, what did evan think?

uminthecoil

Post by uminthecoil » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:36 am

marco - thanks...he dug it quite a bit, wants me to do more...he’s currently writing some mysterious 6000 page opus...something he’s likely to still be working on ten years from now...heh...but he’s driven by his own modest madness...and it’s contagious...:)
Andrew

Ayo

Post by Ayo » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:46 am

That page is great.

That would make an outstanding poster...probably a ceiling poster to just lay back and say "damn..."
I can't fly.

Joseph Park

Post by Joseph Park » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:21 pm

I really love the middle panal with the cars. Nice.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:25 pm

Wow, this is really good. It is an interesting exercise, but you came up with a great result. I like how you include that larger middle panel with various list items incorporated within. Kind of a moment where you see a scene through the lister's eyes.

All the fine detail makes this feel very obsessive, but also makes it very interesting to look at. Nice work.
i heard rumors, he was into
http://jae.imperialotter.com/

Vince

Post by Vince » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:05 pm

Cool! Your stuff has a really interesting, punchy feel (even the last things you posted, like the sequence with the guy driving). I like that you were inspired by stream-of-consciousness writing (I'm sorta working on something like that), and like everyone else, I like the way you combined stuff in the middle panel.

Dude, if you combine your artwork with any part of that 6000 page opus... it would be a thing to behold. 8)

dan

Post by dan » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:25 pm

Nice work. :)

dan

tuck

Post by tuck » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:59 pm

great page. it is so luscious.
man, why don't you have a website?

uminthecoil

Post by uminthecoil » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:09 am

Ayo - thankyou...that’s a curious idea...a poster...I think I might ( over time ) put another one of his list together and surprise him out of the blue with a big poster...:)

jason - :) yeah, “obsessive”...thanks...and yeah, that middle panel was for me, as much of a break as it might be visually for anyone reading it..heh...thank man.
By the way...kick ass web site...really dig your work.

Vince - thankyou...glad you dig that kind of approach...and your ‘quote’ pops out at me...good old Carl and some of his more personal neuroses and altogether curious theories have somehow or another found their way into my book...:)

Dan - always a pleasure bro...more panoramas please...:)

Tuck - thanks man...I’ve got a couple of websites, in various stages of undress..heh...I should probably update my profile and throw a link on there...thanks.

and in case i forget to mention it too often, but you guys are great...keep a person motivated and at their best...thanks again
Andrew

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:21 pm

Well, by obsessive I guess I meant the detail and the dedication to observing random things made the piece seem fascinating to me. I meant it in the nicest way possible at any rate. :)

Also, thanks for the compliment.
i heard rumors, he was into
http://jae.imperialotter.com/