comics in my classroom, thoughts

Recommend books, comics, graphic novels, etc.
Justin V

comics in my classroom, thoughts

Post by Justin V » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:35 pm

so im thinking about putting these comics into my classroom library, i think its going to be a 4th grade classroom, do you think there's any problems with any of these books being in a 4th grade classroom library? any other comics i should throw in there?
Age of Reptiles The Hunt
Age of Reptiles Tribal Warfare
A Search for Meaning The Story of Rex
The Great Shadow Migration by Michel Gagne
The Mystery of He by Michel Gagne
The Spider and the Octopus by Michel Gagne
Amelia Rules In with the Out Crowd
Tintin Land of Black Gold
Tintin The Secret of the Unicorn
Rosemary's Backpack by Antony
Mutts Sunday Mornings
Mutts vol 1
Rose Smith, Jeff
Alison Dare Little Miss Adventures
Zachary Holmes - Case One: The Monster
Zachary Holmes - Case Two: The Sorcerer
Imagination Rocket Science and Social Studies Volume
The Winged Tiger Yeh, Phil
Walt Disney's Comics and Stories by Carl Barks no. 5
Walt Disney's Comics and Stories by Carl Barks no. 6
Pinky & Stinky Kochalka

are there any other all ages kochalka books that would be good? I'm also putting in some calvin and hobbes books, old peanuts books, old far side books and some Gon books, thanks for any help

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:11 pm

I say swap 'Rose' For the first three Bone books. Rose is an ok story, but Bone has a better chance of getting them hooked.

I'd also suggest puttin Herobear and The Kid in the collection too. It's a goddamn cute, well drawn and innoffensive all ages story.

Good choice with the Calvin and Hobbes too...the early kids get exposed to that magic the better....
ImageImage

Justin V

Post by Justin V » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:40 pm

actually, im waiting for the bone one volume softcover from amazon that i ordered, that's definately going in there, i have the hardcovers at home but don't want to take those in, herobear i should try to pick up at some point too, i gave a few copies to classes i used to work in so i dont have my copies anymore

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:20 am

I also recommend the Pogo books by Walt Kelly and the new Peanuts collected volume...

The Adventures of Mia by Enrico Casarosa is also great.

Or some Usagi Yojimbo books by Stan Sakai. I imagine these will be really popular with them, actually...

For the artwork, Joe Madureira's Battle Chasers is a good choice...

And I think getting the Miyazaki art books is a super great idea. If I stumbled upon one of those at that age, it would have changed my life. Well, maybe not, since I still love it anyway, but hey, I may have been a better comic artist if I started earlier...

Anything by Scott McCloud (Understanding Comics, Reinventing Comics, Zot!)

Cave-In and Climbing Out, both by Brian Ralph

The Courtney Crumrin books by Ted Naifeh

Not exactly a comic, but EVERYTHING by Shel Silverstein.

Anyway, I can think of more, but this is from just looking at my bookshelf. I think this should get them going for now. You should find a good comic store and see if they can point you to good all-ages material. Good luck!

Oh, and since the Bone One Volume edition is so huge, I recommend getting the individual trades as well, so that several kids can read the story at once...

Justin V

Post by Justin V » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:48 am

i think i have a pogo book floating around somewhere that i can put in there too, i dont want the kids to get their grubby little hands on my nice fanta peanuts book, that's why im putting some of the old collections i've found at book sales in there, lots of stuff from the 60's

i have the first two issues of mia, climing in and out, issue 1 of courtney crumrin, EVERYTHING by shel silverstein

thanks for the idea of usagi, maybe i'll start buying those, i want to get extra copies of the bone trades too, but you know, just starting my teaching career, not exactly made of money :)

what do you think about nausicaa in there? i think certain 4th grade grade readers could handle it, maybe even just for the art...sadly i've only read it once...so i can't remember if there was anything that parents would be opposed to in there...

dave roman

Post by dave roman » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:41 am

"Imagination Rocket" is perfect. I totally forgot all about it! And I did a story in there!!!

The Editor Brian Clopper also did an earlier comics in the classroom anthogy called" Brain Bomb" that is great as well. He really was hardcore on the comics and kids tip.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:39 pm

Nausicaa! Of course!!!! I am ashamed for not mentioning it... :(

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:21 pm

Print out some Copper comics! :)

(Battle Chasers? Really? Seems adult-ish for fourth grade.)

Add in every Tintin book, and you're good to go.

And don't forget Garfield. :lol: :lol: :lol: I looooved Garfield.

Justin V

Post by Justin V » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:31 pm

haha, there will be no garfield

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:28 pm

ymA wrote:Also, why not add Neil Gaimain's Coraline and The Wolves in the Walls? Not exactly comics, but I often wonder what it would have been like to be introduced to Dave McKean's and Gaiman's work that early.

I was quite pleased today to discover at least a dozen copies of Coraline in the library at the middle school I teach at. Second that suggestion. Chunky Rice, too.

Justin V

Post by Justin V » Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:08 am

i have a copy of coraline, and will probably eventually add wolves in the wall, i also have their first children's book "the day i traded my dad for 2 goldfish" which i actually like dmore than wolves

akiko is a definate, i donated the first 19 issues or so to a class i used to work in, gotta pick up those trades

hadn't thought about goodbye chucky, i have it, never thought of it though, thanks

dave roman

Post by dave roman » Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:10 pm

Chunky Rice might bum some of those poor fourth graders out!

Let me know how they reacte to that one!
It might put a spotlight on the future emo kids ;)

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:28 am

What? No Asterix?? ;)

Derek

Post by Derek » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:09 pm

Needs more Leave It To Chance. That's absolutely perfect for a classroom.

Justin V

Post by Justin V » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:36 am

i had leave it to chance, but i think i sold them when i needed money, oh well, maybe i'll pick em up again at a half off sale or something