Photoshop color management

General Discussion
squirpy

Photoshop color management

Post by squirpy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:29 pm

Photoshop color management is driving me crazy! Can anyone tell me what to do about this?
This is a screenshot from Photoshop. The one on the left is the monitor I'm usually working on - a NEC LCD, the right is my macbook's monitor. The reds get blown out like crazy and everything looks too saturated on the macbook monitor.
It's not an issue with my monitors - once I save images out, firefox displays them about the same on both monitors (with the acceptable difference as you would normally expect between two monitors).
But if I drag a window from one monitor to the other in photoshop, I can see it shift the color as soon as I let go of the mouse. So it must be something with how Photoshop is interpreting the monitors' color profiles, right?

Does anyone know what to do about this? I'd really like to be able to use my laptop for coloring when I'm out and about, not just when I'm tethered to my second monitor.
I keep a sketchblog here

Mr. Average

Re: Photoshop color management

Post by Mr. Average » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:19 am

There's a color-matching client I've used in my studio (the professional one, not my personal setup) called Chromix Color Valet that, if I remeber right, supposedly syncronizes color settings to the pantone catalogue so that they transfer properly to other computers and to printers. So it might be worth looking at. I remember using it a few months ago but I could hardly give a detailed tutorial. It's a lead, anyway, though.

--M
Image Image

squirpy

Re: Photoshop color management

Post by squirpy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:15 am

Thanks for the response, but it seems like it's an issue of Photoshop overcompensating for the laptop screen.
I keep a sketchblog here