A Short Comic in the Snow

Post comics.
mikesheaokay

A Short Comic in the Snow

Post by mikesheaokay » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:57 pm

Hello hello! I just finished this comic for an anthology to be released later this year and I'd love to know what you think of it positive or negative. Feel free to be honest!

Thanks!

Arrow

Re: A Short Comic in the Snow

Post by Arrow » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:14 pm

That was fun! I think my favorite part is in the beginning with the cat 'hiss' and dude going 'hmph' haha classic. Good luck later this year!

mikesheaokay

Post by mikesheaokay » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:23 pm

hey thanks a lot, i'm glad you like it!

andrew fulton

Post by andrew fulton » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:50 am

This is a great little story.

I really, really like the small figure panels - where the tree breaks and where he dives back into the house. They have this great dynamic to them, that I think is maybe lost a little in some of the larger drawings, which are sometimes it's a little stiff. Maybe it's because they were drawn quicker, or it's the cartooniness of them. There is a nice sort of a stillness, though, to the first sequence, which works really well, I think some of the drawing maybe falls between two stools?

I did like it a bunch though, it suprised me, and even the fantastic outlandishness of the premise seemed perfectly reasonable, it didn't seem forced or silly. If you know what I mean.

k-9lives

Post by k-9lives » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:50 am

NIIIIIIIICE!

Very good action, awesomely cinematic at times. Very good use of visuals to tell the story.

mikesheaokay

Post by mikesheaokay » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:27 am

hey thanks so much for your comments!

andrew you are quite an astute reader. i've also noticed sort of a disconnect between the more energetic panels and the larger close-up panels. the difference is intentional but i don't think it's quite reached a point of stylistic consistency yet. i think in order for that to be successful it has to be REALLY drastic or maybe a little more subtle. i think it works really well in something like the Ren and Stimpy cartoon where periodically they do this super detailed close up of someone's face being gross or something. and the subtle approach works really well in something like Cerebus where all of the characters exist in sort of a cartoony realism but occasionally lapse into slapstick action which (to me) works really well.

but anyway thanks for your comments, i appreciate it. this is definitely something i'll be focusing on with future work.

Wei2k

Post by Wei2k » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:54 pm

I noticed that stylistic difference as well and it came across intentional. I liked the action of your more cartoony wide panels, but I love the way you draw his hands in those closeups. Good job; the story flows really well, especially with the way it's presented.

mikesheaokay

Post by mikesheaokay » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:20 pm

thanks Paul!