The Unknowns - Finally!

Post comics.
thirdeyeh

The Unknowns - Finally!

Post by thirdeyeh » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:55 pm

Hey everyone! Not sure if many of you remember some really early on posting for The Unknowns, a new GN I am working on. Well I wanted to share the cover image and a couple of pages from it with everyone. I also have started up a simple blog for me to record my progress through creating the first volume with it. Right now I am seeking publication for the book. It ought to be a fun journey. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on these images. And if production type stuff on creating these things interest you at all check out the blog: www.unknownscomic.blogspot.com

The Cover:

A few pages from the first chapter.

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:25 am

Oh wow, those pages are awesome, Mike! Love the painted textures and the color scheme. Not to mention the very wispy inks and totally fun subject manner. Killer stuff, man!

I think my one little gripe would be the top half of the cover. The gradient black and the logo itself are too photoshop-e, especially considering the bottom half is so well done. Drop the gradient, and you should try to hand draw a logo, or at the very least find something bolder.
NOMAD TOFU (updates M/W/F... it's about a goofy nomad who causes disaster everywhere he goes.)

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Thanks Harry! i really appreciate it. I completely agree with you. I have been wanting a hand drawn font for the title but I'm not sure how to create it in a way that I will really looks professional. I've got a few things I may try.

Glad you liked the sample pages!

Fun fact, Chloe's house is modeled exactly after my own home. Sun room and all.... I love that sun room.

Gunwhale

Post by Gunwhale » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:55 pm

good stuff man. i'm liking the color and i think you've done a good job separating background and foreground but having it work well together.

6 books huh? that's cool. my friend's working on a similarly long story that i'm drawing for, and we're trying to figure out which route to go in terms of distribution and production. which publishers are you thinking of?
Image Image

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:57 am

Yeah I think 6 books will get the idea across and still get everything done in a managable time frame. I really could see it working for much longer than that, but I gotta be realistic.

As for a publisher. I'm really open to any publisher that believes in the story and will give a fair deal (simple enough right?). Though I really appreciate what some of the general young readers publishers out there are doing like Scholastic and Hyperion as far as grpahic novel lines. I just think they appreciate the place these books can have for a kid as a learning tool and for them to get excited about being creative. My daughter was a huge inspiration for me. I really want to create some that one day she will be able to read and appreciate. Hoepfully it helps keep her imagination alive.

Thanks for the feedback Ryan! I'd love to hear more about what you're working on there.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:24 am

This looks like it'd be really fun to read in print, good luck getting it published, but it looks quite amazing from this end already.

One thing that's been bugging me though is page 4 panel 6. If I can say so, mouths don't open like that no matter what's around your neck. It looks as though his jaw is broken or something. Try making the mouth dome shaped by filling in that line to the right of his mouth. I did that in paint to see how it looked and it looked a little better, but I'm sure you could make it look great because it's your work after all.

That and the kid getting snatched seems to have two different colored eyes. I don't know if that's supposed to be the case but I like it :) .
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:05 am

Good call. good call. I will look at that again when I get some time to do it. Thanks Dark! I'm really grateful for all of the feedback so far.

Also, the logo has been vamped a bit. I'll post it later.

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:29 pm

I messed some with the logo here. I'm still working on it, but this is the feeling I was really wanting in the beginning. It's getting there.