Still figuring it out, so come help!

Post comics.
almo

Still figuring it out, so come help!

Post by almo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:44 pm

My brother and I are working on an idea for a new comic, but I'm a little worried it may be to specific of a plot. Basically, it's about a group of animals who sort of run their own photo studio. They take stock photos, do photo shoots, and take requests from their web site. The comic would just follow them as they go on various adventures trying to take various odd photos. We'd then create the photos they supposedly took and put them up with the comic (and on their "web site," which we'd update like it was real). Anyway, I wrote a quick idea and my brother drew it up as an initial test (I know it needs to be cleaned up a bit, but like I said, it was a quick test). Any ideas and/or critiques? Can you tell what is happening?

Thanks in advance!

angry_black_guy

Post by angry_black_guy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Sounds like a pretty novel idea which can be dangerous or a god send. Video games and television have flirted with the idea of linking themselves to the internet so it's kind of like an interactive game but I haven't really seen comics do it at all (except for the secret decoder stuff from back in the 50s but those were just advertising gimmicks).

I think the actual story of funny talking animals doing funny animal things will alienate most of the older crowd that actually go to comic book shops but as a childrens series it could probably do well. The theme itself is cool but the story and characters are definitely for a niche market.

Are you guys hand lettering? I can't tell if that's a font or just really impressive hand lettering.

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:19 am

I think the characters are pretty appealing, which is always a good start. :) Cool concept too, sounds like a fun experiment.

I'm curious how the linking with the web thing will go as well. Would this be a printed comic that has this connection to the site, or would it be a webcomic and another fake site for the animals business?
I keep a sketchblog here

almo

Post by almo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:17 am

We're thinking we'd put it up on the web with the intention of eventually trying to get it printed. We'd include the result photos as the last page of the story in any format, and the "company" web site would be more for fun. But we'd probably add extra photos there, too, along with digital versions of the ones from the comics. But we're still trying to figure it all out, like I said. We're thinking they'll be more nature photographers now, actually...

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:44 am

i like this idea.
that last panel, is it going to be drawn/coloured differently to stand appart from the comic?
looking forward to seeing more on this.
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'