Psychonauts

Discuss games.
Seth Wolfshorndl

Psychonauts

Post by Seth Wolfshorndl » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:37 pm

I know this one is a little old, but this has to be one of my favorite video games to come out in the last several years. I recently bought a copy and had a blast playing through it again. If you don’t know, Psychonauts tells the story of Raz, a kid who goes to a summer camp for psychics. Along the way, he uncovers a big conspiracy and pretty much ends up saving the world. As Raz, you get to use all sorts of fun mental powers (levitation, invisibility, pyrokinesis…). The story is a lot of fun with a lot of great voice acting.

What really sets this game apart is the fact that you get to go inside the minds of various characters in the story, so each level is completely different. For instance, when you go inside the mind of a paranoid guy, it looks like a normal suburban neighborhood, except the streets are all twisted at impossible angles and there are cameras and undercover G-Men everywhere. While in these minds, you have to find emotional baggage, mental cobwebs, and figments of imagination (as well as help them work through some major mental issue). Easily the best level design I’ve ever seen in a game.

I recently found out that the art director for this game was the super-talented Scott Campbell, who all of you should know. He has contributed stories to Flight anthologies, as well as doing his own webcomic, Double Fine Action Comics. If you like quirky humor, you should really check it out… it’s quickly become one of my favorites. You can really see his wacky character designs in the game.

Anyway, this is a truly unique game that I can’t recommend enough. Anyone else play it? Why was there never a sequel?
Image Image

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:20 pm

Psychonauts is so much fun! I picked it up a few years ago because it was cheap and it the cover said it was by the guys that made "Day of The Tentacle" I didn't expect to be addicted to it for weeks after.

The thing that most impressed me was the level design. Every level was completely different from the last so you were always in for new surprises along the way. Truly awesome.

and yeah, it sucks that there was ever a sequel. Strangely it didn't sell enough copies to warrant another installment.

This review sums it up quite nicely. (language warning)
ImageImage

Eckleberg

Re: Psychonauts

Post by Eckleberg » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:01 am

One of the best aspects of Psychonauts is seeing Scott C's sketches floating around each level, as figments. Plus The Milkman Conspiracy has to rate among the best level designs in a game, the art direction is Genius.

I don't think Double Fine is a sequel kind of studio anyway, so you'll have to wait for Brutal Legend in October, which should be equally inventive...

Gunwhale

Post by Gunwhale » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:26 pm

Thanks to Seth's suggestion, I also bought this recently. Beat it last night. So close to level 100, but I'm not sure what I need to do. I've completed figments, vaults, and cobwebs for every level, and I'm pretty sure I've got all cards and challenge markers at the camp. Do you get a challenge marker for painting the poster of the bullfighter? Cause I just gave Edgar the final Queen card and beat it.

But yeah. Great game. I wrote a bit about it on my blog: http://www.ryandrewhoffman.blogspot.com
Image Image

richarddv

Post by richarddv » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:04 pm

This has to be one of my favorite games of all time!

KJones

Post by KJones » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:06 pm

I love playing that game. :D

cheshire

Post by cheshire » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:26 pm

brilliant game, soooooooooo fun and well made.

matthewart

Post by matthewart » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:06 pm

it rules beyond all ruling ever
M@TtHeW

"We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams" ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy