Project Natal: Milo (Advanced AI on the 360)

Discuss games.
dark77778

Project Natal: Milo (Advanced AI on the 360)

Post by dark77778 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:33 am

Everybody, meet Milo:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/991/991348p1.html

I am quite literally in awe. I think this goes far beyond "Hey You Pikachu!" don't you think? Heheheh. Milo, created by Peter Molyneux [of Fable and Black&White fame], is shaping up to be the first advanced AI friend and honestly, it looks like this might actually shape up to meet expectations.

Now, don't be expecting any ReBoot or Star Trek AI thing here, but as a basic AI, who you will probably need to interact with on a minamalistic level of emotions and base words, this game is shaping up to look like a step towards actual science fiction! Now, I know Molyneux is infamous for overhyping his own darned projects, but normally he's not as far from the truth as people say he is...just look at Fable 2. I know some Molyneux haters that actually were taken aback by how good it was.

To go alongside the idea that Milo is a basic AI, I think that the model choice of making him an adolecent makes perfect sense, considering the fact that simply by seeing his younger model forces the player [or should I say User?], to interact with him on a language and knowledge base which would be approximatly suitable to the AI's.

Still, this whole project is so astounding, if I had an Xbox I'd be jumping for joy :o .
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

squirpy

Post by squirpy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:13 pm

That's pretty incredible. I feel like I would get so attached.
I keep a sketchblog here

jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:02 am

The Milo project itself is pretty ridiculous. I think the really exciting bit is how this technology can be applied to future games. Having characters that can recognize you as the player and learn from you while you play is an incredible advancement for co-op and enemy AI.

I think a lot of people are getting excited about the tech demos for these new projects, which is all fine and good, but one you start thinking outside of the box it all becomes really exciting.

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:06 am

:) Yeah, to be honest, it's probably not close to as great as Molineux is making it out to be, but the potential is at least there and at the least it's a really flashy piece of tech. If somebody took this emotional recognition and used it in a Myst or Oblivion type of game, I'd be all over it.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

gau dog

Post by gau dog » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:54 pm

http://gamer.blorge.com/2009/06/07/expo ... -molyneux/

I'd suspect this thing were completely scripted and rehearsed on both sides, but simple AI word recognition is a nice feature. Nobody's ever going to make a real convincing artificially intelligent conversation, at least at this point. Body tracking is cool if it is as good as these demos (the more body active demos) are making it out to be. Though, who has that much open space in front of their TV? Facial emotional recognition, I'm not too sure what sort of amazing things can be done with that. Maybe it'd be good for controlling MMORPG avatar faces for real people but what else? This sort of AI recognition is just like a reflection or causal as in "if A then B". Seeing Milo's facial expressions alone are powerful enough than any unnecessary facial interaction. There's barely any acting that that lady expressed which seemed to truly matter to Milo. It seemed more word recognition and reflection than anything else. It's so easy to think "Milo you have no idea what the heck I'm talking about, do you?" If it can detect sarcasm, that would be real impressive.