Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Wii)

Discuss games.
William Ward

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Wii)

Post by William Ward » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:44 am

I have always loved my Wii, but often worried that the control scheme, while great for some games really made other games suffer by forcing them to fit the controller or simplifying them. Wii Sports, while really fun, made me worry about this more with sports games as I wondered how accurate any of the sports games would end up being.

Pro Evolution Soccer puts that all that worry to rest for me--and as a bonus it doesn't even come from Nintendo so it seems that third party games are coming along nicely.

This game has a steep learning curve, but once you start to get past it the aim-and-point control scheme really brings the game to life. I loved the early FIFA games, but my complaint was always a lack of control off the ball. With Pro Evolution soccer you can grab a player off the ball and have him make a run! You control the run, and with a little practice can learn to make that run open up space for your next pass (to a third player who you can direct to run into that space).

While defense seems strange at first, having left the idea of switching players just to chase down the player with the ball yourself, the ability to set a player to mark a open player off the ball is great once you get the hang of it. In PESoccer you don't control an individual player in defense, rather you choose to send a player (or players if you choose to double team) at the person with the ball while marking other men off the based on their positions. During this strategic set-up you can control if you want your players to clear, go for a steal, play it safe, or slide tackle.

I am still making my way through learning everything you can do with this game, but so far it has been the best soccer video game experience I have had.

tomservojr

Post by tomservojr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:20 pm

I was a big fan of the series on the PS2 (Winning Eleven 6-9), but the first current-gen version was a huge disappointment. I'll have to pick up the Wii version - I've read a lot of really positive reviews. Have you gotten into the Master League mode at all?