[Wii] Super Mario Galaxy

Discuss games.
nateomedia

[Wii] Super Mario Galaxy

Post by nateomedia » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:26 pm

Anyone else going to pick this one up? I don't have much of a history with Mario games, I just got hooked on the original SMB last Christmas when it came out on the Wii Vitual Console. I must admit, I haven't really been very excited about Galaxy, but the reviews have been so strong that I've decided that I have to pick up the title.

I've been reading that Toys R Us is going to offer a $25 gift certificate with purchase, which sounds too good to be true. It might be worth checking the Sunday ads though just to find out.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:30 pm

Oh yeah, for sure. I have it on pre-order at my local GameStop. It would be literally impossible for me not to get this one immediately. Heheh. Now I just wish I had more time so I could actually play it! In any case, it's going to be awesome. :D

Coffee and TV

Post by Coffee and TV » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:50 pm

Tried to snag it out of the back of my Best Buy today after work, but the computer wouldn't ring it up even though the date on the shipping box said Nov 12th. :x

I'll definitely be picking it up tomorrow morning, though.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:44 pm

Got it, and it's great. I had a big smile plastered on my face while I flew around as Bee Mario. The designs for this game are so ridiculously charming.

Tony

Post by Tony » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:40 pm

ARRGGHHH SET JEALOUSY TO ONE MILLION.

I'm not buying it cause I need to save something for my brother to get me for Christmas. And I have a comic to draw *AHEM*.

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:08 pm

I echo Kazu's sentiments exactly. I was worried about the Wii because the amount of games out that were high quality titles was pretty low. Super Mario Galaxy certainly sets a new bar for the Wii. Now if they can just make more like this...

flatrabbit

Post by flatrabbit » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:58 am

I'm hoping to pick this up over the weekend and then I have to make some time to really get into it.

The Wii really caught me as a great system but for some reason Nintendo waited for a little to long to release a lot of it's first party games. We didn't get a Metroid until Aug. and now Mario. We should get Smash Bros. Brawl in the next few months and then some Kart action. So that should fix a lot of the lack of quality games.
flatrabbit
--"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
‡ [ home ] ‡

Randy Dianogah

Post by Randy Dianogah » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:22 pm

downloaded this a few weeks back and im still playing it. great game! definately gonna buy a legit copy too ;)

Tony

Post by Tony » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:24 pm

Got off work early today, so - caving in to peer pressure - I stopped off to pick this up.

I've only played through the very first section, and I think it might be the smoothest, most beautiful game I've seen in a long time. I love all their lighting trickery!

I also realized that this is the first 3D Mario game I've actually played! By the time I had an N64, Goldeneye was all the rage (and deservedly so). And few people I knew had a Gamecube, so I didn't really get to experience Sunshine. Stomping Goombas in 3D is easier than I thought it would be, but still took a bit of getting used to.

What may take MORE time to get used to, though, is the spherical worlds! And since the camera doesn't seem to rotate with Mario, I've found myself tilting my head quite a bit.

Based on this first little bit, I am extremely excited for the rest of the game... I'll share more when I get some more time.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:40 pm

Have you played GoldenEye recently? It's pretty funny. I can't believe we were so mesmerized by that game. Goes to show how rabid players were for the multiplayer fps experience.

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:03 pm

When I think about it now, James Bond looked like Stretch Armstrong when he walks in the gunbarrel intro.

It was still a fun game though. :D
Remember to breathe.....

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:09 pm

here's a question.

i never could really get into mario 64. Maybe because it was the DS version of it that i played, but I just couldn't get used to the game as a whole and ended up trading it back to the local gamestop.

My question is if I had a hard time playing Mario 64, would I be turned off by mario galaxy? Or are they both fundamentally different games?

thirdeyeh

Post by thirdeyeh » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Might I say that this game is awesome so far. I got an early Christmas gift from my wife and this was it. Good times.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:13 pm

Stick wrote:here's a question.

i never could really get into mario 64. Maybe because it was the DS version of it that i played, but I just couldn't get used to the game as a whole and ended up trading it back to the local gamestop.

My question is if I had a hard time playing Mario 64, would I be turned off by mario galaxy? Or are they both fundamentally different games?
Hey Stick, I felt the same way about Mario 64. Just got Galaxy today and will let you know how that goes. From when I played it at the store, I thought it felt solid.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:00 pm

Stick wrote:here's a question.

the DS version is NOT Mario 64, believe me.

Mario 64 is in my top five favorite games of all time, and I couldn't STAND the DS version.

Give Galaxy a shot, because it's pretty much amazing.