[Wii] Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Discuss games.
nateomedia

[Wii] Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Post by nateomedia » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:28 am

Anyone else pick this one up yet? I just got my copy yesterday and played for a couple of hours last night. The game looks beautiful -- the animation rivals what you'd expect to find in any Saturday morning cartoon. I was really impressed with the look of the game, especially since the graphics on the Wii are so downplayed.

The gameplay is interesting. Some reviewers have compared it to the old Sierra *Quest games or Monkey Island. While the game has a touch of that so far, the structure of the levels is a bit different. The *Quest games usually had pretty big, open levels with missions that could be completed independently. Zack & Wiki's levels, so far, have been very small and centered around figuring out how to get to the treasure chest that the level contains without being killed. It's very much a puzzle game, the levels requiring the player to complete a series of actions in a particular order to beat it. If you do things in the wrong order, you're killed and you restart the level.

I got stuck last night trying to figure out how to get to a treasure chest that was guarded by a bunch of cannibals. Again, the character animation here is fantastic. However, I'm not so sure about the puzzle itself. You're given a coconut, a magic mushroom, a poisonous snake, a bunch of cannibals that want to eat you and a giant pot of soup and somehow you have to figure out how to use them to get past a ring of fire that surrounds the treasure chest. I would argue that the logic of this puzzle isn't all that straight forward. For instance, you can feed the mushroom to the snake, which will put it to sleep. However, snakes are not creatures that normally eat mushrooms (mice yes, fungus not so much), so why would the player think to feed a mushroom to it? It's a minor issue, but one that could lead me to get discouraged with the game if it happens very often. I like puzzles, but they have to make some sort of sense to be fun.

Tony

Post by Tony » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:01 pm

Heh heh... sounds like it really does live up to that old adventure game standard. How could it be an adventure game without completely illogical puzzle solutions? I *LOVED* those Sierra and Lucasarts games, and am very much looking forward to this game.

It seems pretty under-hyped, too, so tell all your friends! The Wii is a perfect platform for the revival of this style of game. Perhaps if this title does well, we'll get more! :D

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:25 pm

i'm stuck at exactly the same spot! any hints?

hehe, i'm really enjoying the game though. it's just teaming with personality

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:49 pm

Yeah, I passed that area today. My wife sat down with me and I hooked her on the game. We're now at the stage where you face the second boss. Haven't played through it yet though.

I'm happy to report that the game logic is pretty sound, once you understand how the world works.

My hint: Remember what happens when you ring the bell.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:27 pm

I've heard a lot of good things about this game. I'm going to have to give this one a try. I love the old LucasArts adventure games. Especially Grim Fandango and The Curse of Monkey Island 1 and 2.

LetsMeetUpInParadise240

Post by LetsMeetUpInParadise240 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:54 am

I miss those games. Monkey Island and Loom were excellent.
Remember to breathe.....