Odin Sphere

Discuss games.
Ganter

Odin Sphere

Post by Ganter » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:46 am

TRAILER

So... I've been playing this game called "Odin Sphere" these days.

Brought to you by Atlus (Trauma Center, Fire Emblem) and Vanillaware, it's a 2D side-scrolling RPG with gameplay that's a combination of something like Street Fighter and Zelda.

I love the art direction on it, everything feels hand-painted and moves like shadow puppets. The story is kind of fun too, and I love the music. At times I forget I'm playing a game, and it feels like I'm watching a tv drama or reading a book. :P

If you're a fan of games like the Persona series, Star Ocean, Secret of Mana, or Breath of Fire, you'll probably love this game! Also if you just love Japanese game-style 2D art, this is a must-have.

Vanillaware is also making a game for the Wii in the same style, but it's focused on Japanese folklore and ninjas instead of Norse Mythology and valkyries:

http://www.n4g.com/wii/News-65476.aspx
Check out the magazine scans. Can't wait for that one!!!

Here's the official website for Odin's Sphere:
http://www.atlus.com/odinsphere/

Anyway, I can't say enough good things about this game. Has anyone here played it?

Tony

Post by Tony » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:44 am

I was really excited about this game... the reviews sounded interesting, too, except for the loading time issues (a personal pet peeve). I'll have to look into picking up a copy after the holidays.

Those Vanillaware guys are making some REALLY good-looking games!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:36 am

Man, that ninja game looks so cool. :shock:

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:52 pm

Kazu - you're tellin' me!!!

Tony - yeah, the loading times can be pretty long. But it's kind of nice in that it's a relaxing game that way haha~ when I play it, I feel pretty chill. It's like walking through a park. Very pretty.

Ashwara

Post by Ashwara » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:30 am

Who, cool! I didn't know about the ninja one. Exciting.

I'm still progressing very slowly through Odin Sphere. It's awesome, but I'm a very slow gamer, ha ha. So fun and so pretty, though.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:01 pm

I finished the first two character story lines,but had to stop after going through the inital stages of the fairy with the crossbow. time constraints and all.

I would however like to state that I'm hopeful of finishing the game before 2009 rolls around.

And I suggest that if you love the art work on Odin's sphere, you should pick up Grim Grimoire, also made by Vanillaware. It's a 2d RTS. seems iffy, but they seem to have pulled it off well.