Currently Playing...

Discuss games.
Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:36 pm

neil wrote:
Stick wrote:Probably going to start on Final Fantasy IV for the DS. I bought it last year when it was released and it was still sealed until a couple of weeks ago.
Ooh I want that!

Actually, this is a good place to ask: What is the best role playing game for the DS? I really loved Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger as a teenager--is there anything out that captures a similar feel?

D'OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I meant Final Fantasy III. :oops: FFIV isn't out yet here. :S

Now, in terms of your question... do you fancy a traditional RPG? then ffIII, or IV when its out is your answer.. RPGS on the DS are lighter compared to the PSP, there are other rpgs out there like lost in blue, contact the mana series, as well as etrian oddessy but for a traditional JRPG, the final fantasy series is pretty much it.

Now, if you'd rather play an action adventure game with RPG like elements in it (such as levelling up) then the castlevania games are what you want.

neil

Post by neil » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:54 pm

Sounds like FFIII might hit the spot--but what about this Final Fantasy XII? Does it compare favorably? I see that it's newer and more expensive...

And isn't FFIV the same as the SNES FFII? That was a terrific game, but I want something I haven't played before!

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:56 pm

neil wrote:Sounds like FFIII might hit the spot--but what about this Final Fantasy XII? Does it compare favorably? I see that it's newer and more expensive...

And isn't FFIV the same as the SNES FFII? That was a terrific game, but I want something I haven't played before!
To be honest i don't know anything about revenant wings.. All I do know is that it's a continuation of the PS2 version of FFXII, so if you haven't played that, I don't know if you want to play the DS version.

and yeah i do think FFIV is the same as the SNES FFII.

If you were a fan of hardcore RPG, you can try etrian oddessy by atlus. i hear that's geared for a more traditional rpg experience.

flatrabbit

Post by flatrabbit » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:51 pm

I've been playing a lot of Assassin's Creed since I got it as well as Final Fantasy Tactics on my new PSP (the slick Vader edition). I'm loving AC as I'm one of those people who does everything before moving on, I try to clear each part of the City before taking the boss and moving on. I'm detail oriented (that's the nice way of saying I'm a bit Obsessive Compulsive).

Next I need to Pick up Disgaea & Jeanne D'Arc.
flatrabbit
--"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
‡ [ home ] ‡

jcaffoe

Post by jcaffoe » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:38 pm

flatrabbit wrote:I've been playing a lot of Assassin's Creed since I got it as well as Final Fantasy Tactics on my new PSP (the slick Vader edition). I'm loving AC as I'm one of those people who does everything before moving on, I try to clear each part of the City before taking the boss and moving on. I'm detail oriented (that's the nice way of saying I'm a bit Obsessive Compulsive).

Next I need to Pick up Disgaea & Jeanne D'Arc.
if you're a bit obsessive compulsive, Disgaea could either be the greatest thing you ever play, or the end of your life. It's pretty ridiculous.

I'm still going strong on Mario Galaxy, but I bought a Live account so I've been playing a good amount of Halo 3.

Also I'm loving the Wii Virtual Console lately, I just downloaded Sonic 3 and I've been replaying that. Knuckles was such a badass back in the day...

Gunwhale

Post by Gunwhale » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:24 pm

I've been playing Mass Effect since around last week. I'm probably 2/3 done, and I'm already a multi-millionaire. My advice is not to go straight through the main quest, but explore as many systems and planets as possible, mining for minerals and other items. Plus I'm a Vanguard, so my shotgun skill, and shotgun are top notch.
Image Image

elisio

Post by elisio » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:54 am

believe it or not, i'm currently playing Burnout 3: Takedown on my 360. 8 hours in and still amazed at how crisp it looks on that console and how well it has aged. the best in the series in my opinion. until Paradise, maybe (loved that demo). other than that, finished Halo 3 in just 3 days (short but sweet) and can't wait to get my hands on Mass Effect and Crackdown.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:14 am

Rockband and Call of Duty 4. I am having the hardest time with this "Green Grass..." song. Makes me want to break my sticks.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:13 am

I was so very close to escaping gaming last year. But then they came out with all these ridiculous titles and they sucked me right back in. Darned time killing devices! :roll:

Anyway, currently I'm rocking:

CONTRA 4

TEAM FORTRESS 2

PORTAL

Also, I've been looking everywhere but no one seems to be thinking about it. BUT WHY HAVEN'T THEY ANNOUNCED A SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR THE DS!?!? It'd totally work with the double screens and everything... I just spent close to a grand on computer upgrades; the Wii is too far beyond my budget right now... :evil:
NOMAD TOFU (updates M/W/F... it's about a goofy nomad who causes disaster everywhere he goes.)

Tony

Post by Tony » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:25 pm

BIOSHOCK

Depending on the time of day, I can't tell if I'm enjoying this game or if it's work. Sometimes it's both. As in, I really want to keep going but it's not intrinsically fun enough to make it a totally enjoyable experience.

Still really cool, though. Occasionally as I sit at my desk I can't help but feel that I'd like to get back in to Rapture and smash some Splicers.

Hopefully I'll finish it tonight.

EDIT: Actually, it's probably because I want to move on to REZ HD, COD4, and SMG that's making me not enjoy this as much as I normally would.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:03 pm

Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the DS. This game is excellent. It's an animated adventure story where you follow a famed professor/detective/investigator and his apprentice as they journey through a strange town full of puzzles and riddles to solve. The art style is reminiscent of Miyazaki and Sylvain Chomet (Triplets of Belleville), and the music and voices are great. Highly recommended. I play this almost every night before going to sleep.

Tony

Post by Tony » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Kazu wrote:Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Yes! Awesome! I'm looking forward to trying that. Ha ha, so I'm not the only one who bought a DS so they could play games from the warm, safe comfort of their bed? (As opposed to the cold, cruel living room sofa. Boo.)

Harry Myland (IV)

Post by Harry Myland (IV) » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:25 pm

Tony wrote:Ha ha, so I'm not the only one who bought a DS so they could play games from the warm, safe comfort of their bed? (As opposed to the cold, cruel living room sofa. Boo.)
Oh, I totally do that too, heh. Heck, I even bought that Nintendo Browser thing so I can check my email in bed. :D

I've also been playing a lot of DK Jungle Climbers lately, which is probably one of the neatest interfaces for a game I've yet seen.

Oh, and IGN posted a new article on the SONIC THE HEDGEHOG RPG from BIOWARE. The backgrounds are hand painted and look beautiful. I must say I'm pretty excited about it.
NOMAD TOFU (updates M/W/F... it's about a goofy nomad who causes disaster everywhere he goes.)

neil

Post by neil » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:38 am

Kazu wrote:Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the DS...
Oh wow, I love logic puzzles and brain teasers! I was a little disappointed that there weren't more of these in the last zelda, and now here's a game full of 'em. I'm definitely going to get around to this one.

I watched the video on the amazon page and I like the animation too. It also reminds me a bit of those old French co-productions, like Belle and Sebastian.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:39 am

Call of Duty 4

and

Command & Conquer 3

Getting my fill up fps and rts equally. :)
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!