Currently Playing...

Discuss games.
Kazu
Site Admin

Currently Playing...

Post by Kazu » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:11 pm

Halo 3 - It's been a very long time since I played a fps regularly. When Half-Life came out, it prompted me to buy my first powerful PC, seeing the potential for storytelling in video games. Well, it wasn't the storytelling in games that ended up getting me back into them, but the gameplay. I played Team Fortress and a little bit of Counterstrike back in the day, but I have to admit that nothing compares to the multiplayer on Halo 3. I've been hooked and I play a little bit of Halo every night before going to sleep.

Eternal Darkness - Based on quite a few recommendations, Amy and I borrowed this game from a friend and we started playing it. The game has a more palpable sense of dread than any I remember playing, including Silent Hill. It's not so much the scare factor, but the sense that your character is expendable and headed toward some terrible fate that makes the game what it is. The H.P. Lovecraft influence really helps make it a very cerebral horror experience, and I'm very much enjoying it. Good stuff. For fans of this game, I recommend the John Carpenter film In the Mouth of Madness.

I have a couple more that we're still going through occasionally, including Metroid Prime 3, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and ExciteTruck. I'll write up something about those games soon...
Last edited by Kazu on Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reagan

Post by Reagan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:28 pm

Metroid Prime: Hunters for DS - This is what I've been doing during my bathroom breaks when I'm pushing some timbers down the white rapids. Really fun game so far.

Uh...

That's all I'm playing.

Oh, I did beat Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, which was really nice.

Azzamckazza

Post by Azzamckazza » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:48 pm

GUITAR HERO Rocks my world, although I'm not game enough to move up to Hard yet. My fingers don't know what they're doing

KATAMARI DAMACY
- I'm waaaay behind on games and only just played this for the first time the other day. Wow. Fun. Pure fun.
ImageImage

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:47 pm

PORTAL - I've finished the game twice since I picked it up. Not a major accomplishment - the main game is only three hours long. But it is the best three hours of gaming I've had all year. If you have a PC, you NEED to own the Orange Box. It's almost worth it just for Portal, but you get HL2 and TF2 as well, so it's a no-brainer. If anyone else has beat this, hit me up and we can giggle school-girlishly about it.

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Thank goodness, a return to the Wind Waker art style. Super-cinematic for a DS game, too. Some great use of the DS functionality. I had been playing Twilight Princess before this, though, and between that and the super-repetitive nature of the %$*&@ ocean king temple, I'm just burnt out on Zelda.

KAZU - I'm waiting til I've finished my F5 story to pick up an XBOX, but once I do, I'm going to keep bugging you til we've put in some hours in Halo. Be patient with me - I've never played before. Also, good call on the gaming forum!

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:47 pm

Halo 3-- I really only like playing multiplayer... we have a Halo night every week at work, 4 on 4... SO MUCH FUN!!!!! I dont own a 360, cause I would want to play online every night... and I need to sleep more...

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:49 pm

dik pose wrote:I dont own a 360, cause I would want to play online every night... and I need to sleep more...

Holiday bargains are coming up, dude .... you an me! XBOXES!

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:33 pm

Locoroco and Warhawk on PS3.
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

neil

Post by neil » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:35 pm

I've been playing ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS too! I concur that it feels cinematic; the simple addition of facial expressions helps so much, allowing the story to hit more notes (there's even some nice touches of romantic comedy). There are lots of fun puzzles and games, but overall I think it's just too short! Doesn't a Zelda game usually have a lot more stages than this? To add insult to injury, there's one stage that you keep having to repeat over and over (sure, it's kind of a fun puzzle to figure out how to complete it faster each time, but it's a bit annoying that it's mandatory). I also liked Yuri Adachi's paper cut out illustrations.

Alistair McCello

Post by Alistair McCello » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:53 am

Legends of Zelda: Twilight Princess
I am slowly working my way through it, though I have found it difficult in that I don't get a chance to play for a month and when I go back it takes me a few hours to get my bearings and remember what I am supposed to be doing.

TES IV: Oblivion
I think that I may be the only person in the world that has not beaten this game yet (of those who actually had an interest in it that is).

Portal
It was kind of exciting when I bought Portal the week it came out since it was the first time in a few years that I have actually been up to date on a game.

I am also looking forward to when they finally start selling Guitar Hero III sans the controller. I already have two guitars for my PS2 and I don't want to spend $90 dollars to get the game.

Alex Deligiannis

Post by Alex Deligiannis » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:35 am

My wife treated me to a surprise over the weekend; she came home from the store with Phantom Hourglass. I started it this morning during my train ride in to work and, being a hardcore Zelda fanatic since the original game, so far, I love it! I've heard it's short and easy to beat, but it's a hand-held game, so I don't want to stare at the screen for long hours anyway. And since I find it hard to devote time to serious gameplay and still be productive, I think I'll really dig this game. I've also been playing Yoshi's Island and New Super Mario Bros. whenever I get a little downtime (I've got nothing but Nintendo on my plate).

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:12 am

Tony wrote:
dik pose wrote:I dont own a 360, cause I would want to play online every night... and I need to sleep more...

Holiday bargains are coming up, dude .... you an me! XBOXES!

TONY!!! YOU FOUL TEMPTRESS!!!!!

Look at your avatar... it is what you are.... :P

I would like to play online with you all.. believe me, nothing would make me happier (that is a lie, many things would make me happier)... I would love to rifle butt you all in the back of the head...

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:35 pm

HALO 3 - I was never a big online/multiplayer guy until Gears of War, and now with Halo 3...very addictive

Anyone wanna swap gamer tags and have a Flight forum show down?

nateomedia

Post by nateomedia » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Resident Evil 4 For the Wii. I was close to finishing the game a couple of months ago, but then picked up Excite Truck and Metroid. I just finally finished the game and I'm now working through the extra Ada missions that were included. Other than having to stand still to shoot, I love this game. It's a lot of fun.

I didn't like Metroid, by the way. But Excite Truck is awesome! I need to get golds on all the tracks in Super Excite so that I can move on to Mirror...

Zack & Wiki is in the mail and I'm looking at getting Battalion Wars II once some reviews start rolling in. I've also got Rayman Raving Rabids II on pre-order.
Last edited by nateomedia on Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:49 pm

nateomedia > RE4 is one of the best games ever made, if not the best. Even though I already finished it on the Gamecube, I'm playing it again on the Wii. I love this game.

Scott Hallett > Sure! Maybe we should start a new thread for this.

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:51 am

Odin Sphere - I just made a post about it~ heh!

Fire Emblem - still trying to get through this one. I love it, but I keep getting distracted by work! Darn work getting in the way of my gaming... :P

Lost in Blue 2 - Ugh. Terrible game. Don't bother with it.... unless you're like me and enjoy walking around a deserted island with birds singing and rain falling.

Solitaire - Clio just taught me how to play this like a week ago. Can't go wrong with the classics, I guess!

Donkey Kong Country - One of the best games ever.