No need to be an illustrator to post in the forums.

FAQ and questions/comments
Kazu
Site Admin

No need to be an illustrator to post in the forums.

Post by Kazu » Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:40 am

From talking to several friends, it seems some people are intimidated by the other members of the board, and therefore don't feel comfortable posting.

Please feel free to post even if you don't mean to share any illustrations. It is simply not required. Good, thoughtful conversation is always welcome, and highly encouraged. This forum isn't entirely about becoming better illustrators or writers, but it is also about having a place to hang out and be comfortable. The Piccolo Factory (the work-in-progress forum for the contributors) is the only section of this site that should require more incisive comments and criticisms regarding the craft of comicking, but anything under the Coconino Square header is meant for simply kicking back and chatting about stuff. So again, please feel free to sign up and chat. Just remember to be courteous and respectful of the other members. Cool?
Last edited by Kazu on Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:47 am

Oh, and please offer suggestions for making this a better hang out for illustrators and non-illustrators alike.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:44 am

umm. in the spirit of contributing... i'll just say......

(looks around for the lightning bolt)...

nothing? good...

instead of "No need to be an illustrator to post here"...

how about:
"No need to be an illustrator to post in the forum"..

cause it sounded initally non-contributors were supposed to post only in the General chat..
..ok.

i'll go now.

*looks around and runs*

EDIT: oh, and if you didn't want anyone to post here, sorry.. but you really should lock the thread... and maybe instead of a sticky, how about making it an announcement?

(sees the clouds seperate and sees a big middle finger)..

oh.. right.

*starts running again*

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:49 pm

Okay, Stick. I made the changes.

John

Re: No need to be an illustrator to post in the forums.

Post by John » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:28 pm

Kazu wrote:Good, thoughtful conversation is always welcome, and highly encouraged.

What about thoughtless conversation? What about that? Like the other day I was rubbing my hands together to keep warm and I noticed a phone number written on the palm of my left hand and for the life of me I couldn't remember who's number it was! But I knew one thing for sure, it wasn't a girl's. I sure do hate winter.

And guess what else? Poor people suck -- That's very thoughtless!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:01 pm

Thoughtless conversation is even better. Hehe. :D

nato

Post by nato » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:39 am

its OK to me man... I like to draw and all this stuff, :oops: but I really dont know how to make my works online... I dont have equipaments for that...(not now, hehe)
woahh i´m back....

carpaltunnelpress

Post by carpaltunnelpress » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:41 am

Yeah, I felt the same way, and do make comics. I was telling Joel in a letter that it's all pretty intimidating to come into a forum where there are so many people involved in cool and interesting things and in the middle of so many conversations.

However, in an effort to break out of my shell, I plan on becoming a little more involved in the forums that I've registered in.
Keep Comics Alive!
Carpal Tunnel Press

dan hernandez

Post by dan hernandez » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:16 am

well the only thing that has kept me from posting for awhile is the fact that everyone here is scary talented.

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:54 am

dan hernandez wrote:well the only thing that has kept me from posting for awhile is the fact that everyone here is scary talented.

i know the feeling man.

T-lapia

Post by T-lapia » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:16 am

i would like to add... for illustration comments, i think it would be better for both parties if real comments are going to be given. eg: more contrast to the BG or, this psrt lacks texture other than giving just a " wow. awesome, nice supercalifregalisticly good drawins!" i think it would be really productive for artists here :D

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:14 am

T-lapia > I don't feel this should be enforced. I think any encouragement is good. Most of the time, I have no time to do in-depth crits, but I like to help cheer people on when I see they are working hard or they have great potential. In fact, in some cases, crits can slow people down. I hope people do crit each other's work and take it all seriously, but I think simple, enthusiastic comments are often just as helpful. :D

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:53 am

I'd just like to add that, with the way that the site is from a neutral point (being that i have no artistic background), that while people will always post (as I do) comments like "Wow" or whatnot, there will be members who will always provide helpful advice on how to make improvements to their work, and i'm sure it's always welcomed by those who post their work on here.

T-lapia

Post by T-lapia » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:36 pm

kazu: agreed :D everyone needs a lil encouragement:D but a lil insightful crit will be really helpful too in the progress of the artwork and the artist:D

but i guess, we want this place to be non artist friendly too:D unlike some of the art forums i'v been :D so.. more pwer to flight forums!