Discuss Amulet?

FAQ and questions/comments
clemon

Discuss Amulet?

Post by clemon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Can I discuss Amulet here? There are some things that I'm not sure are Shout Outs or Expys.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Re: Discuss Amulet?

Post by Stick » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:23 pm

i moved it here since the forum you originally put this in deals with comics. However, I'm a little confused by the links you posted.

clemon

Post by clemon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Oh! Sorry. I was just reading Amulet lately and noticed how certain character designs and objects seem like Kazu is sort of giving a nod to another series. I just wanted to know if he is, or am I being too analytical.

saba

Post by saba » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:09 am

clemon wrote:Oh! Sorry. I was just reading Amulet lately and noticed how certain character designs and objects seem like Kazu is sort of giving a nod to another series. I just wanted to know if he is, or am I being too analytical.
Don't we all live in the same world to some degree? :wink:

If one is working with these styles and themes then they've probably been inspired by certain works that hold true for all of us.

In my particular field of graphic design, I'm inspired by people like Paul Rand, Max Miedinger, Adrian Shaughnessy (from a more philosophical than stylistic standpoint). This lies in stark contrast to the interests of my teachers, who were more into Keith Haring, Johnathan Barnbrook, et al. But then again, it's a students job to question and eschew the values of their tutors.

But regardless of where you draw your inspiration from, it's all been done before.

With each new generation we find a new Odysseus.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Hello! Well, if you look very carefully, there are quite a few references in the details but not in the overall designs. I'd love to see if people can point them out. :D

clemon

Post by clemon » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:14 pm

Cool.

Ok, starting in Amulet Book One, page 41 (hard cover), Navin is hold a stuffed dog that looks somewhat like Fred from Kazu's other series Copper. Is this intentional?

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:23 pm

Haha. The design of the dog is actually based on a doll I actually had as a kid. Although he did not have an eye spot, so that must be a Fred reference.

clemon

Post by clemon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Oh.

Other references so far are just similarities popular media that I've seen/read. You do it really well, but I'm not sure if this is a nod, of just great creators thinking alike.

Trellis & Guard-fellow-who's-name-I-can't-right-now-remember-who-was-introduced-in-Book-2 (this is going to bug me) as similar to Zuko and Admiral Zhao from Avatar: The Last Airbender

Leon's hat. Have you ever/heard of One Piece?

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:56 am

Trellis and Luger are not directly influenced by Avatar: The Last Airbender, but their characters do share similarities to Zuko and Zhao.

Leon's hat was definitely inspired by Luffy's in One Piece. It was a way to indicate that the grand adventure was really about to begin. :)