Flight Volume Six

FAQ and questions/comments
tomtom

Flight Volume Six

Post by tomtom » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:59 pm

I just want to say that I have been a fan of Flight since day one. I was already a big fan of a lot of the anthology's contributors and eagerly anticipated the first volume as well as every volume since then. Flight was the refuge for Miyazaki and Pixar fans looking for more fantasy and adventure in their comic reading. I must admit that I am severely disappointed with the latest installment. There are some good stories, but overall this is not as cohesive as previous volumes, mostly because there is a lack of fantasy or adventure. I don't want to blast these talented cartoonists, but Flight always seemed very fan oriented and this fan feels he just wasted $25.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Re: Flight Volume Six

Post by Stick » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:42 am

tomtom wrote:I just want to say that I have been a fan of Flight since day one. I was already a big fan of a lot of the anthology's contributors and eagerly anticipated the first volume as well as every volume since then. Flight was the refuge for Miyazaki and Pixar fans looking for more fantasy and adventure in their comic reading. I must admit that I am severely disappointed with the latest installment. There are some good stories, but overall this is not as cohesive as previous volumes, mostly because there is a lack of fantasy or adventure. I don't want to blast these talented cartoonists, but Flight always seemed very fan oriented and this fan feels he just wasted $25.
I'm really sorry to hear that tomtom. :( I myself only read a bit of volume 6, but I liked what I saw (especially J.P's story). I personally think the focus (for Kazu and the contributors) has always been on telling good stories that the reader would enjoy, as opposed to what genre they catered to, and I feel that they've always done this, and volume six is no exception.

Still, there's always room for improvement, and criticism is always welcome. Thank you for taking the time for letting us know your thoughts about the newest volume. :)

Michel Gagne

Post by Michel Gagne » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:43 pm

this fan feels he just wasted $25.
Wow, that's pretty brutal... :cry:

tomtom

Post by tomtom » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:45 pm

I am sorry if I came off too harsh. I chose not to get into specifics to avoid a rant. Michel, I highly enjoyed your story in volume six, just as much as your previous installments. The same goes for Kazu, Rad and Kean. I was also blown away by Andrea Offermann and Cory Godbey. But I've never purchased a volume of Flight for just one story, or two, or five. In previous volumes there were always a lot of stories I thought worked and a few that didn't. Six, in my opinion, had more that didn't.

Hairy

Post by Hairy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:25 pm

I've also been a fan since No 1, Flight got me into drawing! So over the past couple of years I have eagerly awaited the release of each book. I love the stories in Flight 6, but why is it so small this year??

P.S
Yes, J.P's story was pretty freakin awesome, is that a poster of Scott C's 'Ninja's Everywhere' I see in the background of one panel??

JP

Post by JP » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:06 am

Thanks, Hairy! Appreciate it! :)

Yeah, both Scott C's and Kazu's ninja art is on the walls. Just paying my respects to the artists. :D

Hairy

Post by Hairy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:04 pm

Yes I emailed Scott C recently because I got one of his prints, I mentioned 'Ninjas Everywhere' in your comic and he had no idea about it! But he sounded pretty happy.

One day soon I plan to visit the USA and Comic Con. I'm going to track down yourself, ScottC, Kazu and give you all an epic high five.