FLIGHT 3: PopImage Interview

Talks with Flight artists, as well as reviews of related books...
J.ELLIS

FLIGHT 3: PopImage Interview

Post by J.ELLIS » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:14 am

Hey Everyone
We're going to be conducting another big ass interview/preview for FLIGHT 3 ala our past FLIGHT 2: PopImage Hulabaloo from the past volume:
http://www.popimage.com/content/flightintro.html

We'll be using the same format, that being a roundtable of general Q's then follow-up one on one pieces about your specific stories and whatever else you may have in the works

first I'd just like to confirm who's aboard, everyone is open to join in, there's no limit - so if you don't see your name listed and would like to take place in the interview then please just let me know

So far we've got:

Reagan Lodge
Bannister
Joey Weiser
Tony Cliff
Matt Forsythe
Michel Gagne
Azad
Kazu & Kean

for those of you already on board, if there's anything you'd Specifically like mentioned [pimped] in your interview then please let me know and we'll be sure to highlight it

As for the interview itself - it will be taking place RIGHT HERE
Starting in a few days [was going to start Friday but ended up having to work this weekend, sorry, we'll begin on my next day off when i've got more then a few minutes to do so] I'll start posting the Q's here and you can simply post your answers on the board [i'll be editing everything together in the end] - or if you'd prefer to e-mail your answers you can do so by contacting me at [email protected]
Jonathan Ellis
Co-Editor in Chief - PopImage.com

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:07 am

Hi Jon,

Please add Neil Babra and ChuckBB to that list as well!

J.ELLIS

Post by J.ELLIS » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:12 am

Done!
Jonathan Ellis

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:33 am

Let's do this! :D

J.ELLIS

Post by J.ELLIS » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:50 am

Saving the world through comics {and karaoke}
Jonathan Ellis

io

Post by io » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:24 pm

Count me, Israel Sanchez, in.

Thanks Jon.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:46 pm

Alright! Sounds good to me :D If you need any info on me or my work for the one on one questions, my website is HERE. The project that I'm currently working on is a graphic novel called The Ride Home that is serialized weekly HERE.

I look forward to taking part in this. It sounds fun!
Visit the Tragic Planet!

neil

Post by neil » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:51 pm

Isn't this a public forum though? Anyone would be able to read the interview in advance.

Anyhow, yes I'm ready...

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Fri May 05, 2006 9:37 am

Hey Jon, I know you're super busy these days, but more people are interested in participating. They are Ben Hatke and Dave Roman!

bannister

Post by bannister » Fri May 05, 2006 12:01 pm

thunderbirds are go !

dave roman

Post by dave roman » Fri May 05, 2006 1:11 pm

check one...check one...sybillance...sybillance

:)

househatke

Post by househatke » Sat May 06, 2006 7:54 am

I`ll answer your damn questions.

J.ELLIS

Roundtable Q's

Post by J.ELLIS » Mon May 08, 2006 4:55 am

Sorry for the delay folks - we're going to start off with the roundtable questions [these are for Everyone] first and then move onto the one on one's soon

If you were involved with the Volume 2 roundtable there are some similar questions if you want to check back in case you want to avoid repeating yourself, and of course anything you mention in the final question [7] will be elaborated on further in the one on one interviews

thanks everyone, on to the Q's:

1) Tell us about your story and what inspired it.

2) For those making their FLIGHT debut with this volume, how did you get involved with the book?

3) Did FLIGHT’s movement to Ballantine Books affect how you approached your contribution?

4) How do you feel your piece contributes to the overall quality and diversity of this book?

5) One of the noticeable evolutions of FLIGHT seems to be the move from a more animation influenced look to that of a storybook style. Did anything or anyone have a particular influence on you work for FLIGHT, whether it be personally or artistically?

6) One of the strongest things the Flight anthology has going for it is its sense of community in drawing so many creative people from different walks of life all under one banner. How has this implication of convergence influenced you or affected your work?

7) What’s next for you following FLIGHT?
Jonathan Ellis

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon May 08, 2006 2:09 pm

I hope you don't mind me choosing to skip over a couple of your questions. :)

1) Tell us about your story and what inspired it.
The story that I contributed ("The Tea Party") features the characters from my Jellaby series. Two kids and a monster sit down to have a nice little tea party, but things don't go quite the way they plan.

Most of the story was actually written and drawn in the week after last year's San Diego Comic-Con. The idea for the story came to me on the flight over from Toronto, and as I was hanging out in the LA area with Kazu and some of the Flight crew for a week, they certainly influenced and helped me tighten up my story as I was working on it. I had a lot of fun trying out new things and bouncing ideas off of them as I was working on the story. It was definitely the first comic I wrote and drew while I was 'on the road,' so that was pretty interesting.

3) Did FLIGHT’s movement to Ballantine Books affect how you approached your contribution?
I don't think I was consciously thinking about it, although after having stories in the last two books, I was definitely more aware of the fact that I needed to keep pushing myself in order to raise the quality of my own work.

5) One of the noticeable evolutions of FLIGHT seems to be the move from a more animation influenced look to that of a storybook style. Did anything or anyone have a particular influence on you work for FLIGHT, whether it be personally or artistically?
For me personally, it really felt like Tony Cliff's story ("Old Oak Trees") set the tone as we were starting out this time round. Seeing his first couple of inked pages as they came in really gave me that much-needed kick in the pants for me to get working on my own story. And although I don't know how much influence each of us had on one other's work, there were certainly some common threads running throughout a number of stories in the book. Maybe it was a subconscious thing?

6) One of the strongest things the Flight anthology has going for it is its sense of community in drawing so many creative people from different walks of life all under one banner. How has this implication of convergence influenced you or affected your work?
It's really taught me the value of hard work. Knowing that a large majority of the artists on Flight these days are balancing day jobs and families, and are still managing to find the time to produce these great stories really made realize how much of a slacker I can be sometimes. I mean, Michel Gagné's work ethic is insane!

7) What’s next for you following FLIGHT?
Well, I'm now working on finishing out my Jellaby graphic novel, which was just picked up by Hyperion Books to be published as a two book series. It's pretty exciting actually, as I'm moving away from the day job so that I can work on comics full-time! It's something I never thought would actually happen.

neil

Post by neil » Mon May 08, 2006 7:30 pm

1)
The story is told as a journal of a slightly fictionalized version of myself. It's inspired by having graduated and moved across the country to a place where I didn't initially feel like I belonged, and the mix of feelings of regret and isolation, and then moving beyond that. But I prefer to just let it speak for itself!

3)
The change in publishers didn't influence how I approached creating the story, because the book is still aimed at the same target audience (everyone). It may have helped me in an incidental way because we had a little extra time, so it's done in a more detailed style than my previous stories.

4)
"In Due Time" is a stream-of-memory, mostly nonfiction piece, so it's a bit different in terms of genre and storytelling; it's not really a fable or a fantasy. Hopefully it balances with the other stories and increases the variety and appeal of the book as a whole, rather than appearing out of place!

I'll get back to the other questions in a bit!