Flight 2 Review Thread

Talks with Flight artists, as well as reviews of related books...
neil

Post by neil » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:57 pm

Lambey wrote:So what? Comics with an obvious animation theme arent really comics? Seems kinda harsh.
I agree with you and Hope... I wasn't sure if he was simply criticizing the visual cartooning style, or the pacing & writing, or both. But that reviewer's favorite, "Wilford's Stroll," is actually the most 'animated' piece in the book I can think of; I even commented when Justin was putting it together, that I could totally envision it in motion. Moreover, the story uses very specific cinema/animation techniques, like focal length. I'm interested in how he would figure that into his critique of the other ones that he thought were too cartoony.

Stick
Flight Moderator

Post by Stick » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:07 pm

remember that old saying:

"Those that can't do, review."

hehe, i kid i kid. Please don't sue me.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:10 am

Here is a review on IGN my buddy sent me...

http://comics.ign.com/articles/607/607397p1.html

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Mon May 02, 2005 8:01 am

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon May 16, 2005 11:22 am

An interview with Kazu Re: Flight 2 on The Pulse, but I found the comments that follow the article to be more than a little interesting. The consensus: "Flight is good, not great."

hope

Post by hope » Mon May 16, 2005 11:58 am

That's some good, intelligent discussion. Thanks, Kean!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon May 16, 2005 12:08 pm

Yeah, some great points made in there. Thanks for posting that.

Joel

Post by Joel » Mon May 16, 2005 1:52 pm

Yes....and for my next Flight contribution, I will most definitely wear my monocle, and tell a tale of adult suffering and woe, as that is the only stories that will progress our meager periodical.

Not to bust on that Zeekade guy too much....I mean, the list of preferred books he mentioned is a really good list, with lots of truly quality material, but few of the titles I'd consider "fun"...hahahaha.

I think Flight is fun! I think it's also pretty "literary", even though we didn't meet that poster's quite high standards.

I'm sure you'll also notice how quickly he (and others) seemed embarrassed by Flight's all-ages accessible stance. I've met lots of comic fans that were so embarrassed of having their hobby considered "child-like", they went as far as they could to make their library as adult as they could.
(This included a couple of people that own Blankets, but never read it....the shame! They needed only it's spine in their collection to lend them credibility)

My point: All things in moderation! Actually, I thought that Volume 2 was tons more introspective/emo than the first. (and I whole-heartedly apologize for the usage of "emo"....I spaced and still can't think of a proper descriptive) Hell, the story I had planned for two was hopeful, but mostly a downer....I'm glad I didn't finish it.

Go comics! In all shapes and forms!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon May 16, 2005 1:54 pm

Chris Butcher at the Beguiling sent me a link to a Publisher's Weekly starred review of Flight 2: http://www.publishersweekly.com/article ... ay=current

also from his blog: http://comics.212.net/2005_05_01_archiv ... 6697475836

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Mon May 16, 2005 2:37 pm

Good reviews and good crits too.
allright..so I can't do deep stories in one page (like Taniguchi can do...damn he's good). My storytelling isn't there yet.
Donna Barr once said something like: "some crits just give you this extra push, that makes you say Oh yeah? I'll do better and I'll show them!!" Heehee!

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon May 16, 2005 2:58 pm

What is this, Flight media day? :)

matthew

Post by matthew » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:36 am

i am now certain that it is impossible to write a love story/comic about you and your taxidermist girlfriend and have it not be pretentious. you would think after all the "pretentious" comments i have gotten, i would just face the truth. ha