FLIGHT at Ninth Art

Talks with Flight artists, as well as reviews of related books...
NthMike

FLIGHT at Ninth Art

Post by NthMike » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:15 am

Alasdair Watson at Ninth Art talks about FLIGHT in this week's Shipping Forecast:
TAKE FLIGHT

I hadn't heard a damn thing about FLIGHT, the collection of short stories themed around the concept of, yes, flight from Image until a friend showed me a copy in the pub. I was blown away, and rushed out to buy a copy the following day. I've also never heard of any of the people that contributed to this anthology, who come from small press and animation backgrounds for the most part, but I would happily buy work by any of them again.

The promo copy on the Image website describes these people as "inspired by Hayao Miyazaki and Moebius", and in many cases I think these are entirely worthy comparisons for the level of talent in this book.

None of these stories looks anything less that utterly beautiful, and none of them is anything less than completely charming. From coming of age tales featuring flying whales through re-tellings of classic fables with a modern twist to bleak vignettes about suicide, these stories successfully engage the whole gamut of human emotion. If there's any justice, many, if not all, of these people will make a fortune out of glittering artist careers. A must-have.
Mike
The unofficial Broken Frontier representative to the Flight forums.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:18 pm

Wow, what a great little review!

bannister

Post by bannister » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:59 pm

nice !!