From the Publishers Weekly newsletter

Talks with Flight artists, as well as reviews of related books...
alfred

From the Publishers Weekly newsletter

Post by alfred » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:25 am

The two biggest books of the convention were Flight, a gorgeous full-color anthology published by Image Comics, featuring a roster of more than 20 young cartoonists, many being published for the first time, and a 1300-page (!), self-published, all-in-one volume edition of Jeff Smith's 9-volume Bone series in hardcover and paper. Both books were the talk of the convention and both volumes were sold out by Sunday. At Comic-con, the attendees don't just talk about books, they buy them right on the spot.--Calvin Reid

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:28 pm

Nice! We didn't actually sell out of our copies there, since we had a 1000 and sold just over half the stock, but it's still really nice to be grouped together with the Complete Bone. I think that's pretty surreal...

NthMike

Post by NthMike » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:54 pm

The unofficial Broken Frontier representative to the Flight forums.

NthMike

Post by NthMike » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:13 pm

[Let's try that again, shall we?]

[Much better.]
The unofficial Broken Frontier representative to the Flight forums.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:38 pm

I searched "Flight anthology" at the Publisher's Weekly website, and 2 articles on the San Diego Con popped up--one by Calvin Reid (I think that's the one Alfred quoted) and another from a later issue: "Pop Culture Rules at San Diego Comic-Con" by Douglas Wolk, Calvin Reid & Heidi MacDonald -- 8/2/2004. But you can't read it without subscribing.. Does anyone have that issue of the newsletter?

I'm pretty sure Douglas Wolk was the fellow who visited our table a few times, so I'd like to know what he wrote...

alfred

Post by alfred » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:08 pm

Here's the other quote:

The biggest buzz of the convention was for a gorgeous, full-color anthology by a group of largely unknown cartoonists. The artists behind Flight, Volume 1 (Image) met through Internet comics circles, and they're very young one contributor, Dylan Meconis, nominated for a Friends of Lulu award (FOL supports women's efforts to get into the comics industry), was too young to enter the bar where the awards ceremony was held. The group sold more than 450 copies of the softcover. Scott McCloud of Understanding Comics fame (who's just signed a deal with HarperCollins to publish a new book, Making Comics, and to reprint his backlist), wrote an intro for Flight that hyped its impressive crew of artists.