Worst idea you've had in the kitchen

Recommend restaurants, dishes, cuisines, etc.
Josh-Ulrich

Worst idea you've had in the kitchen

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:31 pm

At somepoint, most people will probably try to be enginuitive and create some sort of dish out of make shift ingrediants to see what will happen.

What's the worst Idea you've ever had?

For me, it was back at my first job when I worked at Chick-fil-a. Me and my friend there had this ingenious idea that if we dropped a bun in the deep fryer (with old frying oil mind you), then put some sugar on top of it that it would be the equivalent to funnel cake....

We where wrong... Quite possibly the worst tasting thing that has ever entered my mouth lol. To this day I still question what was going on in my head.

So, anybody else come up with less than intelligent ideas?

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:59 pm

Two days ago I tried to make a dish recommended to me by my housemate. It was rice, with scrambled eggs and fried bananas on top. Well, I like all those things, so I was intrigued. But did it need any sort of sauce or anything, I asked? She said no. She swore it was delicious and Cuban. I don't know how Cuban it really is, but it certainly wasn't delicious. I tried adding bacon to make it taste like something (anything), but the bacon was the best part. I have no idea what to add to rice, eggs, and bananas to make it palatable. I dumped most of it and went to McDonalds instead.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:32 pm

lol, that's a very odd combination of foods. I would never think to mix any of those. Maybe that's a good thing. ;)

Vince

Post by Vince » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:22 am

I actually haven't made anything too bad lately, but when I was a kid I made peanut-butter-and-cheese sandwiches. I used a big block of sharp cheddar, too. Yeah, I was nuts. :roll:

Josh-Ulrich

Post by Josh-Ulrich » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:05 pm

peanut butter & cheese, mmmm.....

Actually..... that's not totally rediculous.

Lance makes cheese crackers with peanut butter in the middle of them. Of course, there's a lot of bi-product too... but I eat those

*shrug*

I still wouldn't eat a peanut butter and cheese sandwhich though lol.

Jehucampos

Post by Jehucampos » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:50 pm

I once thought it would be a good idea to fry bacon in hot vegetable oil on a pan. I've never seen a peice of meat shrink so fast, and since it is a property of thermodynamics that matter cannot be destroyed, once the strip was so small I could barely see, it burst into flames. I learned that day that bacon provides it's own grease to fry itself.
"Be well, do good work, and keep in touch."

Charlie the choo choo

Post by Charlie the choo choo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:21 am

Letting my best friend try to cook pancakes.
To view the last of me, a living frame
For one more picture! in a sheet of flame
I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew. "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came."

radiomouse

Post by radiomouse » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:45 am

one of my friends thought it was a good idea to make a hotdog in liquid form, so he put a hotdog (with bun!), some ketchup and mustard, and a bit of water in a blender. to this day he can't figure out what went wrong.

nelson construct

Post by nelson construct » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:33 am

Using vanilla soy milk to make mac 'n' cheese with. One bite and I gagged.

smaragddrache

Post by smaragddrache » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:47 pm

I have to say the worst idea I've had recently is trying to make mashed potatoes, but with cauliflower instead of potatoes. I tried masking the flavor with garlic, but it only made it worse. Much to say, my non-cauliflower eating boyfriend was not fooled. :lol:

flatrabbit

Post by flatrabbit » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:05 am

Last year I was really worried about my protein intake as I had gone veggie a year or so before. So I started trying out all the powders that they claim can go into just about anything and don't re-flavor them. Lies. I tried a nice Berry Smoothie with Vanilla Soy Milk, Blackberries, Rasberries, Strawberries & a Veg-Only protein powder.....yeah it was like chewing on a bucket of the powder...this stuff was horrible.
flatrabbit
--"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
‡ [ home ] ‡

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 pm

I decided to cook spam with hot sauce.

Like, I put the hot sauce into the pan while cooking them.

I couldn't see for a few hours, but I'll be damned if they weren't delicious
"Many can Bullshit; few can write."
-- Dr. Gardner, Associate Professor of English, University of North Alabama

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Made a sandwich once when I was 10 with everything I could think of that I could fit between two slices of bread. It was rank.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

DarkWriter31

fantastic question

Post by DarkWriter31 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:27 pm

Great question.

Since I work in a kitchen, the worst ideas I've ever had were the ones that led to all the scars and burn marks on my hands and arms.

Adam
"Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

http://onethirsty.blogspot.com (My writings and ramblings.)

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:54 pm

jdalton wrote:Two days ago I tried to make a dish recommended to me by my housemate. It was rice, with scrambled eggs and fried bananas on top. Well, I like all those things, so I was intrigued. But did it need any sort of sauce or anything, I asked? She said no. She swore it was delicious and Cuban. I don't know how Cuban it really is, but it certainly wasn't delicious. I tried adding bacon to make it taste like something (anything), but the bacon was the best part. I have no idea what to add to rice, eggs, and bananas to make it palatable. I dumped most of it and went to McDonalds instead.
I know I am answering this after 2 years, but....

This sounds like ingredients a Cuban would use... but I am Cuban and have never had that.... (although those ingredients alone could not be horrible, I have to say, no offense, but your cooking of those ingredients had to have been horrible... the most I would say is those things alone can be bland.)

My mom makes a Cuban friend rice, but she uses day old rice (recooked) soy sauce, bacon, scambled eggs, chicken, pork, bean sprouts, green onion... kinda whatever she has sitting around as leftovers....

Fried banana goes on the side. not stirred in the rice...

And as far as rice and eggs, thats a dish I have eaten all my life, but not with scrambled eggs, its an egg sunny side up, and mixed in with the rice. So you infuse the rice with the yummy egg.