MOCHI

Recommend restaurants, dishes, cuisines, etc.
aquateen000

MOCHI

Post by aquateen000 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:30 am

have you tried this stuff?

its like ice cream inside this ball of something i dont really know. but it tastes great!
"I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird."

Sweet_Baboo

Post by Sweet_Baboo » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:39 pm

mochi is a traditional Japanese food.

a dense, shortgrained type of rice (mochi rice) is cooked and pounded/kneaded to make a sticky, doughey blob. the pounding is done in a wooden or stone pounding bowl, with big wooden mallets. This is often a community event where people take turns pounding the mochi and kneading it.

mochi is associated with winter, especially with New Years. (the activity of making the mochi brings together the community to strengten friendships to bring in the new year) It is traditionally consumed in bean soup or baked with a soy sauce glaze.

aquateen000

Post by aquateen000 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:33 pm

thanks for clearing stuff up for me, it tastes great! especially green tea flavor! :)
"I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird."

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:19 pm

Aquateen, I think you're referring to mochi ice cream. The only thing mochi on it is the outer coating, which is as Miwa described above. The ice cream is a fairly recent trend, and yeah, the green tea mochi ice cream is great!

You should try traditional mochi as well. Good stuff. :D

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:26 am

mochi's great~ here's a funny story. I had a pack of mochi, dusted in fine flour to prevent it from sticking as usual. It was the kind with sweet red beans inside. I gave one to my friend from kansas, and she said because of the texture, shape, and density, it made her feel like she was eating a hamster. I don't think I can eat mochi again without thinking of her saying that! >_<

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:06 am

Your friend knows what it's like to eat hamster?? :shock:

Ganter

Post by Ganter » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:42 am

hopefully not! I could see what she meant though. When you hold these mochi, they kind of feel like holding a small rodent: soft and squishy on the outside with a dense center... mmm mochi...

shojogirl

Post by shojogirl » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:06 am

I always thought of them as denuded sea urchins. Sooooo goood.
I wish ...