suggestions for the starving artist

Recommend restaurants, dishes, cuisines, etc.
mollycules

suggestions for the starving artist

Post by mollycules » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:04 pm

the last two months have probably been the most financially difficult months for me in awhile an i can't help humor myself about the weird things i end up eating just to get by. i have indulged in:

-buying frozen spinach at trader joes and then heating it up in the microwave with eggs.
-beans and rice with pink salt that was originally meant for decorative purposes (or for margaritas?)
-lots of frozen raspberries and *gasp* frozen bananas!
-miso soup and green beans and peas

those are just a few. what are some things you guys have eaten during the hard times?
www.mollycules.com
now with more panda power! (kombucha not included)

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:45 am

Glue sticks.

Some will say that liquid glue tastes better, and maybe it does, but can you eat liquid glue while driving or operating heavy machinery? No. Glue sticks are portable. They are the future of comestibles-slash-art supplies.

~IJ

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:43 pm

Ramen noodles, of course. The cheap ones.
Cheese Whiz (the horror!!)
Loads of pasta: not too expensive and heavy in the stomach.
Rice, cheap cereals (no bread, no potatoes)
No other meat but ham, vegetable juice to replace all veggies, apples and oranges on special.

Ah, memories of college...

A friend once ate vaseline as a kid. Blah.
I can't remember eating anything weird.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:57 pm

Trader Joe's is perfect for starving artists. I used to load up on frozen lasagna and dumplings. You can eat cheap food and not be eating stuff that's hazardous for you...

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:48 pm

If you're going the instant ramen route, I highly recommend Sapporo Ichiban. Sure, it's usually a couple of cents more expensive than the other brands, but it's so worth it for the extra MSG kick. :)

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:33 pm

MSG'D!

~IJ

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:36 pm

Kean wrote:If you're going the instant ramen route, I highly recommend Sapporo Ichiban.
Mmm. One of San Fran's #1 best exports. Sadly absent outside North America.

EDIT: Ian- I swear I'm not stalking you! We must just browse this forum at exactly the same speed... :oops:
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

goRaina

Post by goRaina » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:44 pm

oatmeal.
frozen waffles with applesauce.
salad composed of lettuce and salad dressing. and sliced carrots, if i was feeling fancy.
annie's mac & cheese.
annie's p'sketti loops and soy meatballs.
potatoes, green beans, and pasta.

my last year in college was brought to you by bagels, luna bars, campus pizza parties (i joined a few school clubs just for the occasional pizza party), and free tea from the student lounge. and inviting myself over to friends' houses as often as possible... :oops:

Nick

Post by Nick » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:50 am

The shit didn't hit the fan for me and my friends until the last month or so of Uni. At which point I think it was economy pizza virtually everyday for a month. Oh how I loved thee, Tesco economy food range.

Nunumi

Post by Nunumi » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:10 pm

Tuna with mayo O_O Simple, efficient XD

Swizec

Post by Swizec » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:53 pm

I have to admit I've never done the starving artist act before... but I have done the "too lazy to eat properly"

Thus I invented frankfurter sandwiches. Yes, you might say "that's just a hot dog" but it really isn't because the frankfurter is used in a similar way as salami...

You end up with a lovely meal you can eat quickly and efficiently whilst making everything around you greasy...

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:17 pm

Minini wrote:Tuna with mayo O_O Simple, efficient XD
Don't EVEN go there ^_^ I knew a guy at Uni who had tuna and mayo virtually everyday in the first year...I think the only time he didn't was when we cooked him something. If he was feeling really adventurous he'd throw some pasta into the mix. Jeez, just the thought of tuna and mayo makes me want to gag ;P

T-lapia

Post by T-lapia » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:11 pm

eat everything with rice.
tuna w/ rice
ham w/ rice,
ramen w/ rice
fried eggs and rice is awesome.
do it asian style :D

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:47 pm

T-lapia wrote:do it asian style :D
I agree! A long string of not having a reliable oven and a well-documented obsession with all things cross-Pacific (as well as not having a clue how to cook potatoes) have led me to much the same conclusion. low-budget low-skill Asian cooking is simple: pick a meat, pick some veggies to go with it, pick a sauce that comes out of a jar (there are lots to choose from), and then either rice or noodles. Then stick them together in a frying pan. If you're not picky about the meat, the sauce is the most expensive part.

But ramen with rice? That's just weird, man.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

Nick

Post by Nick » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:13 pm

Or curry it ^_^ If its edible and can be put in a wok, it can be curried ;P

I suppose I can't really talk because cracking an egg was one of the last things on my 'to do' list ;P... But potatoes? slap it in some foil, bung it in the oven for two hours, jacket potato. ^_^