Bay Area eateries?

Recommend restaurants, dishes, cuisines, etc.
JonS

Bay Area eateries?

Post by JonS » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:15 am

i know there's a few out there who live in the san francisco area on this board, or visit there often....can anyone recommend any places? Any kind of food, preferably mom-and-pop type places.....

here's a few of my own:

Hotei (great japanese noodle place)

han il kwan (best korean food)

tommy's joynt (you can get a big fat cut of thanksgiving turkey with all the fixins, anytime of the year)

schubert's bakery - i don't even like dessert that much, but it's guuud here

Spices - szechuan restaurant. spiciest. food.

Escape from New York Pizza - they've got a great potato pesto garlic artichoke pizza...big new york slices too

puerto allegre - good chille rellenos, good margaritas

neil

Post by neil » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:23 pm

Well I don't live in the city (rather a little further down on the peninsula) so I'm not well versed, but here's a few things I remember being good:

Do you like Indian food? I always look forward to Naan & Curry--it's really good and pretty cheap!

We also had a little Flight pow wow at Park Chow, it was not bad, the pizza is really good.

I kind of like that diner in the Castro, Sparky's (good milkshakes).

Oh oh and there's this Chinese vegetarian place, Golden Era--the "drum-sticks" are awesome!

I want to check out this crazy health food place in the Mission that Enrico suggested--they won't cook food over a certain temperature to preserve the "enzymes" and they have silly names for the dishes like "You Are Pure," heheh.

goRaina

Post by goRaina » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:55 pm

woooo, san francisco eats!! :D :D :D

the Crepevine, irving and 7th ave--probably my all-time favorite eatery. giant crepes, huge salads, savory omlets, awesome soups, delicious fried potatoes. i can't get enough of this place!

La Taqueria, mission and 26th street--one of my 2 favorite burritos. they're totally stripped-down and unfancy, but DANG do they taste good. fantastic quality, and amazing fruit drinks to go alongside. oh, there's one in san jose too, but i don't know the exact address.

Gordo tacos y burritos, various locations throughout the city--my other favorite burrito! i'm so addicted to their quesadillas, it's not even funny.

Khan Toke thai house, geary and I THINK 25th ave--they have an orchid garden in the back, you sit on the floor to eat, and you're not allowed to wear shoes past the front lobby. this place is fun, and their curries rock!

Shangri-la, irving and 22nd ave--i weep because i no longer live in san francisco and can't eat here all the time anymore. it's an all-veggie chinese place, totally cheap, with AMAZING food. try the potstickers, the sweet-and-sour walnuts, and the pan-fried noodles...mmmm...

Greens, fort mason--well, i guess my vegetarianism is showing. ;) anyway, this is a gourmet veg restaurant, on the water, classy as all get-out, and the food is to die for! my family loves holiday brunches here.

Bagdad Cafe, market street near...church, i think?--all-night diner food and an amazing dessert case. their spicy 'desert fries' are yummy!

Mifune, japantown mall--if you like japanese noodles, this place is awesome.

i could go on, but i should probably get back to work... :roll:

smaragddrache

Post by smaragddrache » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:42 am

well, since the post DID say "bay area" I'm going to post some great places outside of the city! If you are ever in Berkeley, you must go to these two places:

Gordo's on College. Fantastic burritos the size of small babies. And cheap.

Smokehouse on Telegraph. Crazy burgers... cheap too. and really really really yummy milkshakes.

And I'll echo Neil, the Naan & Curry is great.

Oh and if you're in downtown Oakland, and you like Vietnamese food, Pho 84 is really good. I haven't been there in a while, since I was little, so I don't know if it's there anymore. But when I used to go there with my parents, they had chicken curry to die for. mmmmmm....

Now I'm stuck in Santa Cruz with no good Indian or Vietnamese places. boo. We have some good Thai I guess. And for the veggies out there, I don't think you'll find a larger concentration of veggie-friendly eateries outside of SF. mmm... Saturn Cafe has an all veggie/vegan friendly menu!

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:06 pm

If you like Chinese food, I know this great place in Cupertino called "Hong Fu". :D

favorite pizzeria - Cicero's
favorite cheesesteak - Jersey Joes
favorite Cuban - Habana Cuba
favorite Brazilian - Senzala
Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

bluelily17

what about Oakland?

Post by bluelily17 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:15 pm

I'll be there on a business trip the last week of Feb and need some cheap and good recommendations-

Coffee and TV

Post by Coffee and TV » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:31 pm

Everytime I go to San Jose, we eat at The Fish Market.