Best spots in NYC

Recommend restaurants, dishes, cuisines, etc.
lifelibertyland

Best spots in NYC

Post by lifelibertyland » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:43 am

Hey, I dunno how many people here are from NY, so this thread might die fast... but what are you're favorite resturaunts in NY?

I'm gunna have to say Doyers Vietnamese resturaunt on Doyers St in Manhattan. Runs about $6-$10 for a meal. In terms of Vietnamese food I think it's pretty Americanized, but it's still good stuffs.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:26 pm

While I was up there, I was recommended Grimaldi's Pizza in Brooklyn, just under the Brooklyn Bridge. It was simply the best pizza I've ever had, probably due to the very fresh ingredients they use. The Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory is also just down the street. They have excellent ice cream, so doing a one-two trip to both Grimaldi's and the Ice Cream Factory, coupled with a nice view of Manhattan from the Brooklyn Promenade, make it a great place to take a date. :D

jrr

Post by jrr » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:59 am

this place is great, the food is big and it's really delicious. it's alittle more expensive than it use to be but still decent. not a good place to take a date, because it's impossible to eat this much food and not make a mess of yourself.

http://www.katzdeli.com/

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:41 am

If you are a cheese freak (as I am), you'll have to try Artisanal

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/pages/details/2000.htm

Watch it though, it can be very expensive. But for the choice of cheese that they have...it's like cheese heaven :D :D :D

Ted

Post by Ted » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:52 pm

The Chip Shop in Park Slope. I no of no other place in NY where you can get a deep fried Twinkie. :shock:

EQ

Post by EQ » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:34 am

I am out in Cali now, but here are my favorite NY restaurants...

DuMont in Williamsburg take the L train to Lorimer Stop exit on Union, it's across from Kellog's diner. If you go with someone get the DuMont burger and the DuMac n Cheese and split it.

Grimaldi's is dope, as Kazu said.

Sharaku, for cheap and good Japanese food, on the corner of 3rd Ave. and 9th St.

If you are ever in Macy's area on 34th street, there is a great Pizza Place on 35th and 6th (across from Macy's) It is on the South East Corner, and is run by these three Italian dudes. The slices are big and very old school NY. I forget the name (Giuseppe's maybe).

Frank on 2nd Ave. btwn 6th and 5th street, they have indoor & outdoor dining but no sign, just a white hanging sign with a vintage painting with a woman and some flowers I think. It is definitely cramped but all the pasta is hand made, and they have this Buffalo Mozarella imported from Italy that is awesome. Everything is very fresh, and rich. And the prices aren't too bad.

there are some more, but I have to get back to work.
-b

radiomouse

Post by radiomouse » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:52 am

sushi hana (2nd ave and 78th) has the best sushi. they have a hawaiin delight roll, or something like it, that has apple, mango, and some other fruit...amazing.

magnolia's bakery has the best damn cupcakes ever.

also, there's a place called pho vietnam...maybe...i forget the name, but it was down an alley and across from a store selling cheap foreign merchandise. easily the best pho i've ever had, and extremely cheap as well.

lifelibertyland

Post by lifelibertyland » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:14 pm

I forgot I started this thread... looks like some good reccomendations I'll have to check em out.
Another one to add to the list is Taste Good(Malaysian), 82-18 45th ave in Elmhurst.

angeldevil

Snack Time in NYC

Post by angeldevil » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:32 am

My current hang-outs:

Jesse Bakery (Chinese style food and pastry) on East 23rd Street and 2nd Ave -- same block as Pearl Paint and the School of Visual Arts

Saints Alp Tea House on 2nd Ave and 10th Street (Bubble tea and snacks)

Panya Bakery on 9th street and 2nd Ave (Japanese French Style Pastry)-- try the Yuzu tea!

We moved off the island a few years ago... I miss ordering-in from Two Boots pizza.