What formerly hated food have you grown to love?

Recommend restaurants, dishes, cuisines, etc.
hope

Post by hope » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:52 pm

Oh God. O_O

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:16 pm

wow...that is quite the story!!

...and thats why i dont drink. my old roomate came home drunk of his ass one night with a broken foot.

tenet

Post by tenet » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:33 am

fish. incredibly i couldn't stand fish.
not that i love it now but at least it doesn't turn my stomach anymore.

wow, now that's a story, chevalier.

Buttercupzyo

Post by Buttercupzyo » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:59 am

Seattle's the salmon and coffee capital of the world, I bet, because they're everywhere. Coffee is all right, but any kind of fish is phenomenal to me. I could never be vegetarian, because I'd have to eat a fish every once in a while.

I KNOW there are different kinds of vegetarians, btw. But that's neither here nor there.

One food I couldn't take then and can't take now is the tomato. In its raw form the tomato is to me as kryptonite is to Superman. I literally gag when I eat them. One food that I like now are bananas, which oddly enough came about during a week in 8th grade when I decided I would just start eating bananas until I liked them. It worked.

Onions must have some child resisting properties, because I remember not being too much of a fan of them as a little kid, but now they're the ultimate veggie in my eyes...no pun intended.

As for food that I once liked and now hate, I believe that honor belongs to bacon, sausage, and to a lesser degree eggs. Working at a breakfast restaurant and seeing bacon and sausage cooked by the bucket and kept at room temperature in a big bin of congealed grease all day really made them somewhat unappealing. As for eggs, I figured out that I cracked something like 10,000 eggs while I worked there, so being exposed to buckets of yellow goo....REALLY MADE THEM LOOK GOOD.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:40 am

Squash and Tomatoes. I DESPISED the taste of both....but....they're growing on me.... :?

Oh, and Chev, you are one lucky bastard. :)

Dan

The Limey

Post by The Limey » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:16 am

I've always loved Brocolli...I think more due to my mother's Scanners-esque mind powers than anything to do with taste or texture. Fresh Brocolli from the farmers market, tossed with a little penne, some squash, garlic, parmesan and olive oil -- perfect meal. Oddly enough, Brussel Sprouts were a favorite of mine also.

On the hated, now love front, I've always been something of a foodie, but for some reason I could never get into Red Meat, especially in blood oozing barely cooked form. These days though, gimme' steak tartare and I'm a happy man.

Oh, and beware of Whiskey. Whiskey causes bad things to happen and velvet jackets to need dry cleaning....
"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness", Pablo Picasso

househatke

Post by househatke » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:49 am

Rasins. I hated them. Now, suddenly, they are a snack of choice.

What's happening to me?

I still can't drink coffee. The closest I can get is one of those coffe flavored slurpees at 7-11, like french vanilla or mochadamia nut.

Yenner

Post by Yenner » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:34 pm

I used to hate burssels sprouts, I HATED THEM!!!
And now I love 'em.

My thing is, I can't stomach burgers from restaurants of any form, fast food to dine-in. I just can't do it if I didn't make the damn thing myself.
"I am at two with nature." --Woody Allen

aquateen000

Post by aquateen000 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:20 pm

Onions, i still dont like em, never have, never will.
"I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird."

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:32 am

I used to hate Cheetos. They'd just scare me for some reason. And yet... I loved Doritos. Maybe the flat chip-ness of the Doritos made it a little easier for me. But the phallic-ness of the cheeto.... not so much for me.

But now at work we have what we call a "snack drawer" full of candy bars, chips, candy, etc. Almost always now I reach for the cheetos crunchy. They're yummy!

Clank

Post by Clank » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:07 pm

I used to really hate hot and sour soup. Now I have it every day for lunch. Kind of random, I know. :) I seriously can't get enough of the stuff.

Coheteboy- I used to love Cheetos, but now I can't stand them or anything like them for some reason. Hm.

donnell

Post by donnell » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:32 am

I wouldn't say that i hated ranch dressing, but i never really wanted to give it a chance. but last year i tried it on pizza, and then burgers, then fries, then everything else (except salad) and I love it. I basically replaced ketchup with ranch. If you never tried it on those things, I'd reccomend it to everyone!!!

-Donnell
i cant read

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:56 am

Escargo.

Apparently their is more than one way to prepare it. I still don't like it in the shell with the garlic (well...a little), but I really love the other way I had it. Just wish I knew what the way I like is called.

Veleno

Post by Veleno » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:49 am

Avacados and mushrooms :-D

Used to be that I couldn't stand them, now I love the stuff.

hemigoblin

Post by hemigoblin » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:54 pm

Spaghetti lol... I couldnt stand the texture when I was 4.