What formerly hated food have you grown to love?

Recommend restaurants, dishes, cuisines, etc.
bluemax500

Post by bluemax500 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:45 pm

Mustard, definately mustard. And squash.

Dr. Worm

Post by Dr. Worm » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:09 am

I used to dislike Ramen, but now I eat it nearly everyday.
I think it's because of that gross Top Ramen. Maru-Chan is where it's at.

There's also oysters. Now I love fried oysters.

Side-note: my nanny gave me tablespoons of coffee when I was toddler. I drank it through the last half of elementary, and through Junior High.
They call me Dr. Worm....good morning how are you, I'm Dr. Worm.

Ayo

Post by Ayo » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:59 am

I will never surrender my hatred of the tomato plant or any of its offshoots (ketchup, tomato sauce, etc, etc).

However, I've grown to love--LOVE--mushrooms, onions, garlics, spinich (oh my GOD!), and certain alchoholic beverages. I used to dislike them all.
I can't fly.

JonS

Post by JonS » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:55 am

Sicilian style italian food... I used to like my spaghetti sauce all chunky full of celery and ragu and stuff. Now I make it with artichokes and red wine. mm.

Ramen....i used to love the cup o'noodles junk. Now it just tastes funky to me. I buy the Top Ramen and make my own concoction with imitation crab and thai chili paste :)

spinach, artichokes, turkey, snow peas, watercress...

janell

Post by janell » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:18 pm

Alfalfa sprouts! I looked through this list, and it's amazing how many things I read about from others that I used to hate too - green and red peppers, broccoli (just add lemon butter!), onions - but now I like. And I didn't want to repeat everyone else, so it took me a while to find a new one. My mom always made us put the sprouts on salads, and I really didn't like them growing up. But now if they are around, I might even snack on them. Mung beans too. My parents were really into health food....

One thing that I grew up with that I will never like is oatmeal. The kind you have for breakfast. (I make killer no bake cookies with oatmeal, but that's for a different thread.) But we only got cold cereal on weekends when I was growing up. Every single weekday for years and years my mom would make us mushy oatmeal - not the flavored pre-mixed kind, the kind from scratch. To this day I don't know how I ate it every morning. Wow, it feels good to rant about that to someone other than my own brothers and sisters!

Ooh, but I love and have always loved artichokes. Lemon butter again makes all the difference. Now I just have to convert my husband over to them sometime in his life, which will actually probably never happen because just the smell of them makes him sick.... *sigh*

Janell
www.baegtobar.com
The Journey Begins

davidhopkins

Post by davidhopkins » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:53 pm

I hated ranch dressing. And now, I put it on everything. Kinda gross, huh?
:: antihero ::

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:39 am

Used to hate cucumbers and tomatoes.
I like brocoli, but the darn thing gives me tummy aches.
Won't drink coffee, but dark chocolate covered coffee beans...yuuuuum
Actually, now I'm ready to try almost anything food wise.
Except blood sausage or any brain cheese or whatever that's called. Urk!!

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:33 am

I didn't used to like onion and garlic. Now I can't get enough of them...it's little wonder my girlfriends gone to Poland to teach. :wink:

I can't ever see myself liking Sprouts and especially SWEDE. I HATE swede, it looks like mashed potato, it draws you in, and you don't realise until it's too late... :cry: bleurgh!

Quezzie

Post by Quezzie » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:39 pm

Tofu...the texture and lack of flavor was disgusting to me as a kid. Like rubber. Little did I know, there are many other kinds of tofu, and ways to prepare'em.

Funnily enough, I always liked broccoli.
Image Image

VC

Post by VC » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:55 pm

You're not alone, I've always liked broccoli too. I also have always liked mushrooms.

This topic can be a bit difficult for me, since my tastes rarely change (but then again, I haven't tried much exotic food yet, so I'm still young)

If memory serves, as an elementary school student I really disliked bananas and onions. However, I love both of them now. I have always disliked having ranch dressing on my salads because it distracts from the flavor of the vegetables. However, recently I've begun putting a lot of ranch dressing on my salads again because it's the only way that I can get myself to eat all of the lettuce.

To this day I can't drink coffee. Coffee, no matter how diluted by sugar or sweetener, makes my stomache weak. I'll end up feeling naseous for days after consuming coffee, it's not worth it.
oh yeah, plug: http://hereishere.com

Captain Uglyhead

Post by Captain Uglyhead » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:38 am

I used to despise fish of all kinds, but I've learned that, properly deboned and pan-fried, the slimy swimmers can be pretty tasty. A good sauce to dip in helps a lot, too. You wouldn't believe how much strife my hatred of fish caused when I was young. My parents are from Newfoundland, raised on fish, oh the scandal, that they had a child who refused it!

When I was very young, I loved mac & cheese, but I burnt out on it and refused it for years on end. Now, in university, I've begun developing a taste for it once more.
It follows the continuity of the third Ziganokum movie. It stars Shrub Mikanore as Ziganokum and Bizzorum. With Johothin Griggor as Nebulox.

R'John

Post by R'John » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:57 pm

sashimi(tuna and salmon)...now I'm starting to love it...

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:30 pm

Captain Uglyhead wrote:When I was very young, I loved mac & cheese, but I burnt out on it and refused it for years on end. Now, in university, I've begun developing a taste for it once more.
This sounds familliar. At a little crushed pepper or other spices and it's like cooking for real! :P

However, the cycle for me has turned again, and I'm burnt out again....oh well, in a few years...
Visit the Tragic Planet!

Joe Shig

Post by Joe Shig » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:28 pm

Liquorice.
--Joe.

lifelibertyland

Post by lifelibertyland » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:34 am

asparagus!
used to think it was bitter and nasty. mayber it's just a different was it was cooked but now i'll eat it in a pinch
"Everything in my shop is the best," replied the butcher. "You cannot find here any piece of meat that is not the best."
At these words Banzan became enlightened.