Are there any budding chefs out there?

Recommend restaurants, dishes, cuisines, etc.
Jason C-M

Post by Jason C-M » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:36 am

I worked as a cook for a few years, can came out of it with a deep-seated hatred of cooking.

That faded before too long, though. And while I was just a cook I did work and learn from a couple of real chef's.

I still tend to think of cooking as a chore, but I love chopping vegetables (gotta keep up those knife skills), and every once in awhile, I just want to make something special, or I see an eggplant in the grocers or whatever that makes me want to do some new variation on stuffed eggplant.

I was vegan for about eight years, and am omniverous again. I used to have a pretty nifty repetoire of vegan dishes, like some great adzuki bean and mushroom soup, the aforementioned stuffed eggplant, creamy marinara sauce, a veggie-creamed-tofu dip that just rocked, and a tofu stuffing casserole I still make about once a month or so.
Fun for Brains and Eyeballs!
with Drawing a Blank: News from the Drafting Table
http://www.cheeseman-meyer.com

Nick Fagerlund

Post by Nick Fagerlund » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:32 pm

I lived in a vegetarian cooperative dorm for 2 semesters at my college, which taught me a lot in terms of nutrition and cooking chops. I'm no pro (I am SO impressed that there are actual <i>chefs</i> hanging out on this board - how cool is that?), but I got pretty good at adapting recipes, improvising, and using ingredients that were sitting around. I also picked up a decent instinct for spices.

Anyway, I just discovered this section of the boards, and it's making me itch for some serious recipe-based work again. (I've been doing a lot of stir-fry and lentil stew, since I've been cooking for one this semester and only brought my backpacker's cookbook with me.)
~NF