Vegemite...

Recommend restaurants, dishes, cuisines, etc.
douglas a. bot

Vegemite...

Post by douglas a. bot » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:30 pm

I don't know wether any of you have tasted or even heard of Vegemite before. But it's a bit of an Australian cultural icon.
An aquired taste (I think you need to be brought up on it since birth) it's a dark salty savoury spread you can have on toast, sandwiches with cheese...or crackers etc. Breakfast lunch or as a snack. You can mix it in with sauces and marinades as well for meat.
Anyway...i'm eating some now on Toast...rather addicted to it i am. If any of you peeps want some...pm me your address and i will send you a little package to try.

Delish!!

d.

Kean
Site Admin

Re: Vegemite...

Post by Kean » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:06 pm

douglas a. bot wrote:If any of you peeps want some...pm me your address and i will send you a little package to try.

Ha ha. Watch out kids! It's Doug, the vegemite pimp! He'll send you a little package to try, but be careful -- the next hit's not free!

I remember trying vegemite in my youth, and well... you're absolutely right when you say it's an acquired taste.

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:45 pm

Okay...so...Kean...you know how i said you were getting a 50-50 cut of the eventual profits from this whole vegemite scam?

Well...NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

d.

hope

Post by hope » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:44 pm

I've heard of Marmite (http://www.gty.org/~phil/marmite.htm), which appears to be the same thing. My boyfriend was/is weirdly obsessed with it, and had a jar of it hidden in his room because his horrified roommates threatened to throw it away. I haven't tried it, but I took a whiff, and that was all I needed.

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:58 pm

Marmite is similar. Probably a bit sweeter though. I don't particularly like it.
Not as much as a dash of Vegemite on some fresh buttered toast...and a cup of fresh brewed coffee though.

MMM MMM...boy thats good.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:26 pm

Now that Hope mentioned it, I should probably correct myself. It's Marmite I've tried, not Vegemite. But somehow, if I don't like one of them...

On the other hand, if you give me some nice liver pate on those wee Paris Toasts, I'll be as happy as a clam.

Chevalier

Post by Chevalier » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:03 pm

Wait, you get your profits in soup? Interesting.*
I don't know if I have any really strange acquired tastes, but I do have a weakness for Champagne and strawberries.

*Yeah, I know it’s a Seinfeld reference.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:47 pm

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:59 pm

I totally wanna try some, I had some friends live in Australia for a year, and they said you Aussies love Vegemite but HATE peanut butter, they said its rather difficult to even find peanut butter there. Let me know the truth of Vegemite vs Peanut Butter, I would hate to be spreading insidious lies about the Australian culture.

Johnny Neat

Forget it

Post by Johnny Neat » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:27 am

Forget that, I'm sticking with my "Nutella" - The Original Hazlenut Spread.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

The Limey

Post by The Limey » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:38 pm

Ahh....Vegemite. As an Englishman, I should be morally opposed to it on multiple levels, but sometimes even I have to close my eyes, put on one of them cork hat things and succumb to its yeasty goodness.

Marmite's easier to spread though...slightly more liquidy, like jet black mustard.
"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness", Pablo Picasso

shojogirl

Post by shojogirl » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:21 am

Jet black? More like deep dark brown...or have I been getting the wrong brand for my addicted mother?
I wish ...

The Limey

Post by The Limey » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:11 am

Yeah, it probably is dark brown, but jet black sounded so much more...um...tarlike. Yep, Vegemite, it's like eating salty tar!
"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness", Pablo Picasso

wendy w

Post by wendy w » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:05 pm

Marmite beats vegimite any day. Yumyum.
Though i'd see if i could reserect this thread.
The tagline for marmite is you either love it or hate it so how come i only like it?
Am i just weird?
Really you can tell me...
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny says you need to read

Vince

Post by Vince » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:34 am

Doug -- tried it once. I just remember it was insanely salty. Not that it was foul or bad, just really really salty. Am I remembering it right? I think it might work in a sauce, but please explain how you can eat it by itself on a cracker. :wink:

Johnny Mercury -- Nutella is one of the best things EVER. Its dominance over any other toast-topping substance is so complete it's not even funny.