Lemon Cake

Recommend restaurants, dishes, cuisines, etc.
hope

Lemon Cake

Post by hope » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:32 am

I modified an orange cake recipe into a lemon cake recipe the other day, and it turned out very nicely. It's very quick and easy.

3 cups sifted cake flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup margarine/butter/shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs or egg substitute
zest of three lemons
juice of one lemon
3/4 cup milk (if using soy milk, use "original" flavor, not vanilla)

Grease 2- 9 inch layer cake pans, dust lightly with flour. I would also put a circle of foil or parchment in the bottom of the pan, because the orange version of this was extremely sticky.

Sift flour baking powder. and salt together. Combine margarine, sugar, eggs, and lemon zest in large bowl, beat at high speed 3 min. Remove from mixer, stir in flour mixture alternately with lemon juice and milk beating well after each addition. If you're using soy milk the lemon juice will curdle it, but that doesn't matter.

Pour into pans and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Let cool and ice. I used a very basic, slightly thin white icing on the top and let it drizzle down the sides. Mmm.

janell

Lemon cookies

Post by janell » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:30 pm

That sounds good! I'll have to try for my husband whose birthday is coming up.... Here's another lemon recipe, though this one is for lemon cookies rather than cake. I came across it while searching for cookie recipes for the holidays:

1 lemon cake mix (18.25 oz)
1 egg
8 oz. whipped topping (cool whip)

1/2 cup powdered sugar

Combine cake mix, egg, and whipped topping, the batter will be very thick. Roll into small 1" balls, then roll in the powdered sugar. The sugar will keep your hands from getting sticky. Bake at 350 for ~10 minutes.

These cookies are so soft and chewy, and they stay that way for a long time. I've already made them twice, though mostly because we had to give the first batch away....

Does anyone know what dry ingredients would have to come together to substitute for the lemon cake mix to make this from scratch? Just curious....

Janell
www.baegtobar.com
The Journey Begins