In-N-Out Burger

Recommend restaurants, dishes, cuisines, etc.
Reagan

In-N-Out Burger

Post by Reagan » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:20 pm

So has anyone else here experienced the sheer wonder that is In-N-Out Burger?

Unfortunately it's only found in Southern California, to my knowledge. I think there's one or two as far north as San Fransisco. I'm down out in the desert near San Diego county, so I usually get a chance to drop by one of their restaurants once every month or two.

Anyway, it's arguably the best fast food burger chain ever. Everything is fresh. Never frozen. The potatos that go into the fries are cut up right on the spot (and you can watch them do it too, and you can really taste the potato in the fries), the greens are always crisp and delicious, the buns are always lightly toasted just right, and the meat has some kind of subtle seasoning I've never found anywhere else.

And best of all, you can customize practically everything in your order. I usually order my burgers with extra fried onions, and my dad always orders his fries as half-fried.

Plus there's a bunch of 'secret orders' you can get there which aren't on the menu:

""3-by-3" = three meat patties and three slices of cheese.

"4-by-4" = four meat patties and four slices of cheese.

"2-by-4" = two meat patties and four slices of cheese.

*Note: You can get a burger with as many meat paties or cheese slices as you want. Just tell the In-N-Out Burger cashier how many meat paties and how much cheese you want and that is what you'll get! For instance, if you want 6 pieces of meat and 10 pieces of cheese tell them you want a "6-by-10."

"Double Meat" = like a Double Double without cheese.

"3 by Meat" = three meat patties and no cheese.

"Animal Style" = the meat is cooked and fried with mustard and then pickles are added, extra spread and grilled onions are added.

"Animal Style Fries" = fries with cheese, spread, grilled onions and pickles (if you ask for them).

"Protein Style" = for all you low-carbohydrate dieters, this is a burger with no bun (wrapped in lettuce).

"Flying Dutchman" = two meat patties, two slices of melted cheese and nothing else - not even a bun!

Fries "Well-Done" = extra crispy fries . . . even better than the regular!

Fries "Light" = opposite of fries well-done, more raw than most people like.

"Grilled Cheese" = no meat, just melted cheese, tomato, lettuce and sauce on a bun.

"Veggie Burger" = burger without the patty or cheese. Also can called the "Wish Burger"

"Neapolitan" Shake = strawberry, vanilla and chocolate blended together.

So let us discuss the sheer cosmic glory that which is In-N-Out.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:34 pm

Thanks for the run-down! I've been to In n Out for a long time and even I didn't know ALL of those tips! I have to say, In'n'Out isn't my favorite burger, but when you're hungry for one, it hits the spot nicely.

I for some reason, though... can't get full when I get a double double combo. Ok, call me an eating machine but I need like a 4x4 and that to me is their perfect burger. I went as far as a 6x6 but it just didn't have enough bun! Imagine eating the entire burger in one bite. That's what it's like biting into a 6x6.

Man, I need to eat healthier....
My name is Dave.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:37 pm

Nice! Thanks for the menu... I think I might print this out and put it in my car... :D

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:19 am

Cohete...you ARE a bottomless pit!!! 4x4 a perfect burger? Yikes...I even stopped getting the Double double cause it was too much...I have seen a guy eat a 16x16...its wasnt pretty...

I knew most of this menu..most of it is useless...but the fries ones, I didnt know, and those are the most useful!! I am gonna get In n Out soon and try some "Well done" fries. Mmmm.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:09 am

I remember when I first found out about In-n-Out, I couldn't believe it. I remember donny and Walter talking about going to the In-n-Out in The Big Lebowski, but I thought that was a restaraunt name the Coen Bros. made up, and it seemed cool that such a place exists.

Anyway, I finally got to go to one when my roommate and I were visiting his family near Victorville. And we've made sure to visit one everytime we've been through California since.
i heard rumors, he was into
http://jae.imperialotter.com/

matt spangler

Post by matt spangler » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:14 am

oh man in and out...the best hamburger you can get at any fast food place...in some cases it tastes even better than restaurant burgers...i love the fries and shakes and the fries IN the shakes...good times.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:54 am

dik pose wrote:Cohete...you ARE a bottomless pit!!! 4x4 a perfect burger? Yikes...I even stopped getting the Double double cause it was too much...I have seen a guy eat a 16x16...its wasnt pretty...

I knew most of this menu..most of it is useless...but the fries ones, I didnt know, and those are the most useful!! I am gonna get In n Out soon and try some "Well done" fries. Mmmm.

I too will try some "well done" fries! I mean... I think the reason I don't love In'n'Out as much is because their fries aren't the best. Too soggy or something! But well-done fries... how come I never bothered to ask?!

Ok so you think I'm a bottomless pit. You obviously don't know my next goal in life: http://www.dennysbeerbarrelpub.com/6lbburger.htm

That's no whopper - you can actually get this meat monster for $23.95, load with all the "fixins"...
Two whole tomatoes
A half-head of lettuce
12 slices of American cheese
A full cup of peppers
Two entire onions
Plus, a river a mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard.

Get mine without the tomatoes and onions and I'm good to go! Ok, I probably won't be able to finish it, but I would certainly like to try!
My name is Dave.

Nofret

Post by Nofret » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:26 am

First heard about it while in San Diego. When I heard the name, I wasn't too convinced I should try their food. Hehehe
But maybe I'll try the fries next time I'm down southwest. Fresh fries are great.

Monk

Post by Monk » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:26 am

My arteries are crying out in distress and anguish!

matt spangler

Post by matt spangler » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:16 pm

That's no whopper - you can actually get this meat monster for $23.95, load with all the "fixins"...
Two whole tomatoes
A half-head of lettuce
12 slices of American cheese
A full cup of peppers
Two entire onions
Plus, a river a mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard.

damn! I wonder if the Takeru Kobayashi of Nathans hot dog eating fame could finish that thing...man that burger is just wrong.

Woody

Post by Woody » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:48 am

Man, I've been meaning to find out more of the secret menu items at In-N-Out. I always get my burgers animal style, and I've known about the grilled cheese, protein style, 4x4 and 6x6s and stuff (though the whole meat x cheese is new to me). But well-done fries?! Animal style fries?! Neopolitan shake?! Man, I'm gonna have to try some of these! In-N-Out cannot be beat, except by itself when it suddenly becomes greater, which it did for me right now!

Vince

Post by Vince » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:57 am

Reagan, you are the MAN. An In-N-Out popped up in Westwood my last year of college, so I got aware of almost all of these -- but the Flying Dutchman and the Neopolitan are definitely new to me. I'll pass along the info. 8)

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:25 am

Wow. Never have I heard of a restaurant having "secret specials." I've always wondered why In 'N' Out's menu was a little sparse.

~IJ

JonS

Post by JonS » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:38 am

as far as fastfood places go, I'd have to say In-and-out is tied with Whataburger, a chain that's only in the South, i think....

I just moved from Texas to california this past year so I've had the chance for both...in and out's got that really fast-food goodness to it, but they're bugers are smaaaalll..(i do like the animal style though).....Whataburger's got big simple burgers that actually taste homecooked (somehow)...

i think a REAL burger is something you gotta hold with two hands....but i love both those places...:)

Ian Jay
Location: America: The Magical Land of Neutron Bombs, Lean Pockets, And Napoleon Dynamite

Post by Ian Jay » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:36 pm

You know the whole "4x4" and "3x5" thing? Apparently some kids went in and ordered a 100x100:

Yikes.

~IJ