Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles

Recommend restaurants, dishes, cuisines, etc.
Coheteboy

Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles

Post by Coheteboy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:19 pm

Natives to the Los Angeles area are very much aware of this chain of restaurants that offer southern cooking, mainly fried chicken and waffles. I never tried this place until yesterday for dinner, but I've been hearing about it from just about everyone in the ten years.

So, being the fan of unhealthy eating that I am, I was excited to finally be able to check it out for myself. I was told that they give you "a plate full of food and you'll die after eating it". With that thought engrained into my head, I got even MORE excited.

I went to the Los Angeles location on Pico and La Brea, and I only felt somewhat out of place (ok I felt VERY out of place). But that didn't matter. I was there for some southern cooking and I wasn't going to leave without getting it.

I ordered the combo that gave you waffles, two pieces of chicken and gravy. That doesn't sound like a lot of food... and you're right. It wasn't that much for what you pay: $9.20. For fried chicken and waffles??? Yah, I felt it was very expensive for what you get. You can go to KFC and feed an entire family for $14.99! There was a next step up if you wanted to get half a chicken and waffles for $14.20.

The food arrived, and I got a plate with two big waffles and two things of syrup. On another plate was two pieces of fried chicken covered with gravy. Lemme rephrase: two pieces of small chicken covered with gravy. Was it good? Well... it's food. Nothing spectacular. Id' be wiser to just get KFC and cook eggo waffles.

So yah... I was pretty disappointed. Anyone else been to Roscoe's?
My name is Dave.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:12 pm

Wow, your stomach must be a bottomless pit...I cant even order that "Scoes Special #2" anymore...it makes me too full, I get ill...now I just order the omlette... I agree its expensive, but the comparisons to KFC? Seriously, KFC is no good (and for fast food it is one of the most expensive, and you dont get "that" much food, its almost all skin and bones)...Roscoes is different, the chicken is good (and I dont really like chicken) and the waffles are great!! I usually go to the 'Scoes in Long Beach, its bigger than the LA ones, and usually no wait. Oh, and their Mac 'n' Cheese is pretty darn good too!! Biggest problem with 'Scoes is that I usually get really tired after eating there...

Roscoes is a once or twice a year meeting place for me and some of my buddies, just to treat ourselves and we like the ambiance.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:16 pm

It's too bad you didn't have a good experience there, Dave. I love Roscoe's. I agree with what Richard said, though... It puts me to sleep. I still love it though, and I'm so glad I have one so close to me here in Pasadena... Mmmm, chicken and waffles...

matt spangler

Post by matt spangler » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:25 pm

when i first heard about this place i was like, "that just sounds so wrong, chicken is lunch/dinner and waffles is breakfast...and never combine them" but sure enough...i went there and i loved it...such good food, and it mildly put me to sleep...but no more than any of my other greasy food joint meals i have.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:09 pm

Maybe it was just so overhyped for me. I love my friend chicken but yah.. it wasn't enough chicken vs. the amount of waffles you get. I have to say that I was indeed full afterwards, but my tongue was still craving more.

Ok so KFC isn't the BEST fried chicken but you can certainly get a bucket for a reasonable amount of dough. But I think my favorite fried chicken is at Knott's Berry Farm. Mrs. Knott's Fried Chicken is the shiznit.

Next time I go to Roscoe's, whenever that is, I'll check out the Long Beach or Pasadena locations. I stood out like a sore thumb in the LA location.
My name is Dave.

agremar

Post by agremar » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:33 pm

Try wrapping the chicken in the waffles and putting syrup and tobasco in there, then prepare for deep hurting.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:49 pm

agremar wrote:Try wrapping the chicken in the waffles and putting syrup and tobasco in there, then prepare for deep hurting.

Haha... I'll keep that in mind... yeah...
My name is Dave.

goRaina

Post by goRaina » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:34 pm

whoooof! i'm a vegetarian and i STILL did crazy-well at roscoe's. i went there after comic-con last year with a bunch of orange county peeps, and pigged out. luckily i went to the beach right after, and just collapsed in a happy pile in the sand for a good hour. then i swam off all the calories. mm, mm, mm.

bigg

Post by bigg » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:47 pm

never been there, but chicken and waffles is one of the best meals out there. im one of those guys who will bring his own syurp around. i can't use that watered down shit most places give out.
BigG
"I twist a blitz so quick it turns to roach clips/ New nicks get picked/ oh SHIT i need another hit/ I sip Sipps while two full clips spit hollow tips/ As I raise the guns up off my hips/ Now who you fukin with?"
http://www.wesleygunn.com