pho

Recommend restaurants, dishes, cuisines, etc.
Reagan

Post by Reagan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:20 am

Where's Khang Le? This thread is totally for him.

Pho is indeed divine. I had it for the first time this past winter when I went to Canada to stay at Matt Rhodes' place for a while. We went to this awesome little wooden pho house in Calgary's Chinatown.. Man... It was divine. I had barely half a bowl and was utterly vanquished. I was sad when I came back home though, since I could never find any pho around San Diego. Then by some stroke of cosmic luck, a noodle house popped up less than two miles from my house... Literally out in the middle of nowhere desert. It's unbelievable.

Nothing beats a huge bowl of beef pho with a side of rice paper wraps, mint leaves, sprouts and peanut sauce on a cold day. It's just the stuff dreams are made of.

SonOfaRich

Post by SonOfaRich » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:45 am

Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacle advertising droids!!!!!

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:26 pm

Heheh, I know the guys that made that shirt. :)

jdalton

Post by jdalton » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:53 am

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! That's Pho King great! I assume Khang already knows about this?

Um... stupid question. I do know what pho is, I recently discovered a good source in East London in fact, but puns aside how do you pronounce it? Po? Fo? Something in between?

Jonathon Dalton
A Mad Tea-Party

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:38 pm

It's a bit closer to "fuh"

JonS

Post by JonS » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:44 am

i always order pho dac biet ..i probably wouldn't if I knew how they got all those animal parts, but oh well :|

Paul Harmon

Post by Paul Harmon » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:28 pm

pho is amazing! I've been eating it all my life (my mom is vietnamese) and unfortunately while the popularity of pho has risen the quality has taken a dive, and about 98% of all the places I try pho are really sub-standard :( The spices used in pho are so bright and strong you should really smell the soup from around the corner and definitely very strong in doors, most of the time this is not the case and the soup is really bland and seemingly watered down. I can cook the soup now on my own and not to brag but it will be better than almost any restauraunt out there now. I love to cook but that is such a sad statement to me...westminister i think is still the best bet for great Thai too. But the absolute best bowl of PHO outside of vietnam has to be PHO Hanh Long I'm sure I misspelled it but its on atlantic in Long Beach a little hole in the wall shop with short hours. you can smell the soup from blocks away..they ONLY serve pho you will never look at another bowl the same

TheAtomicTerrier

Post by TheAtomicTerrier » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:58 pm

my best friend's family own a local resturaunt and they serve the best pho... I've had the pleasure of eating this before the resturaunt opened because his mom is the one that cooks it and many other fine things.

here's their myspace:http://www.myspace.com/lotusvietnamesecuisine

Reagan

Post by Reagan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:08 pm

I just moved back to southern California.

I demand pho!

dark77778

Post by dark77778 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:13 am

Rice noodles make me feel ill and I don't know why. I just can't eat Pho even though it smells really really good.
I'm my own breed of eccentric.

Dr_Watsman

Post by Dr_Watsman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:17 pm

The pho here in Houston is pretty darn good. Just stop in anywhere on Bellaire near Beltway 8. I'm more of a bunh fan myself. The best bunh in Houston is either Van Loche or Mai's on Milam. So, if for some reason you ever find yourself in Downtown Houston, thats where you need to go.