Sizzler: Steak, Seafood, Salad

Recommend restaurants, dishes, cuisines, etc.
Coheteboy

Sizzler: Steak, Seafood, Salad

Post by Coheteboy » Fri May 28, 2004 10:24 am

When I was a young boy, I remember that Sizzler was truly a family dining destination. It was the one and only place to get the all you can eat fried shrimp platter and boy was that good. AND it was always crowded.

Then they introduced one of the first all-you-can-eat buffet sections that include soup, salad, and minimal other offerings. That was the hey-day of Sizzler.

Now... does anyone still go to Sizzler? It seems like nobody even knows if it still exists. I felt bad that a restaurant I had fond memories of stuffing my face was long forgotten... so I decided to have lunch there again. Can you believe it? The sirloin steak lunch platter was only $5.99! That is super cheap! And then I added the all-you-can-eat salad bar for only $3 more. You can't get a better deal than that... ESPECIALLY compared to lunch in Los Angeles. The salad bar offerings aren't the best tasting food but it's definitely a bang for your buck.

I like Sizzler again. :o

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri May 28, 2004 10:41 am

Hehe. I used to looooove Sizzler when I was a kid. I always looked forward to eating the cheese bread especially. I went there recently and I was a little disappointed, since I had the nostalgia thing going and well, you know, it's just Sizzler. But hey, I should try their lunch on your recommendation. Steak for cheap? Sounds sketchy, but I'll give it a try, for nostalgia's sake! :D

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Fri May 28, 2004 1:15 pm

I think I am going there on Saturday for a friend's after-graduation meal....I have never been to Sizzler, ever....I will try to give a "first impressions" report after the event. Wish me luck.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri May 28, 2004 1:22 pm

Uh oh. Without the nostalgic factor, I don't think you'll be very satisfied. Good luck, anyway! Hehe...

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Fri May 28, 2004 1:58 pm

LOL, yes, I do have to admit, Kazu, that it wasn't quite the same as I remember. The place was half empty for one... and the salad bar doesn't quite compare to the likes of Hometown Buffet. But my steak and fries w/ cheese bread was only $5.99 for lunch and that's a bargain.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Fri May 28, 2004 2:16 pm

Kazu wrote:Uh oh. Without the nostalgic factor, I don't think you'll be very satisfied. Good luck, anyway! Hehe...

:shock:

HAHA, oh crap, then maybe I'll just have a water.

zeekage

Post by zeekage » Sat May 29, 2004 8:43 pm

Wow, Sizzler was the best. Every two weeks when I was around 7 my family and I used to go there. I always got double servings of their ice cream just because I liked to use the machine. I thought I was so special because I could pull the lever and ice cream with both chocolate AND vanilla came out.

There were a couple of Sizzlers where I used to live. Is it just me or did they all have the same western/native american theme going on? I don't think there is even a Sizzlers where I live now. :( I should go look to see if there is and relive some memories.

KingMixer

Traffic School at Sizzler

Post by KingMixer » Sun May 30, 2004 6:30 pm

When I was at Santa Barbara I had a traffic ticket and that ment traffic school. The traffic school was at SIZZLER all day and included lunch. It is really strange how Sizzler was the fancy spot during the 80's and such a treat but now that's nowhere near the case.

Dek

Post by Dek » Sun May 30, 2004 6:33 pm

AND they were in a Wierd Al song! (Albequerque)!

MAD cool points there lol

Yeah I'm up in Canada so I'm missing out...:'(

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Mon May 31, 2004 1:52 am

OK, I went to Sizzler for the first time ever on Saturday...the restaurant was empty at mid-day, after CSUF graduation, that shoulda been a red-flag....So I had the Steak and shrimp...steak was ok, shrimp was too greasy and made me and my friends slightly ill. I was not impressed with the quality or quantity, especially because its not neccessarily cheap. 16$ for the meal with a drink, no salad bar.

My review is "If you are looking for 'bang for your buck' eating, then look away from Sizzler, its expensive and teh portions are "shrimpy", and the food just doesnt taste very good...you are better off paying 5$ more for a steak somewhere else and enjoying a better quality meal."

zeekage

Post by zeekage » Mon May 31, 2004 5:29 pm

Sigh... so much for the heyday of Sizzler.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Mon May 31, 2004 11:02 pm

dik pose wrote:OK, I went to Sizzler for the first time ever on Saturday...the restaurant was empty at mid-day, after CSUF graduation, that shoulda been a red-flag....So I had the Steak and shrimp...steak was ok, shrimp was too greasy and made me and my friends slightly ill. I was not impressed with the quality or quantity, especially because its not neccessarily cheap. 16$ for the meal with a drink, no salad bar.

Hey, did you go to the one off Harbor Blvd? If so.. that's the one I went to!

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Mon May 31, 2004 11:10 pm

Coheteboy wrote:Hey, did you go to the one off Harbor Blvd? If so.. that's the one I went to!

Nope, it was the one on Yorba Linda and Placentia...super close to the campus...but NEVER go there, do a drive-by someday, just to say you saw it.