adventures in live music

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:49 pm

I saw Jon Brion a couple of nights ago. He composed the soundtracks for Punch-Drunk Love, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and he plays almost every Friday night at the Largo. It was a very unique experience, and I am convinced that this man has more musical talent in him than he can possibly hold. He's incredible on the piano, drums, guitar, harmonica, and everything else he incorporates into his set. He plays them like they were extensions of his body. The guy puts so much energy into his show it's almost ridiculous and you kinda worry for him at points, since he's stumbling around half drunk on Guinness (which he drinks like water on stage) and hopped up on heavy doses of coffee. While some of the peppier songs were not so great, he played a few slow ones that made my jaw drop to the floor. His sad songs are soooo beautiful... All in all, Friday night at the Largo is quite an experience. I recommend going there if you're in the LA area.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:50 pm

Caught Feist playing the Mod Club over the weekend. Incredible, incredible performance. Not only music-wise, but visually too. There was an artist on hand that was providing real-time art being projected on to the screen behind the stage. There were a combination of slides, silhouetttes, ink drawings, all interacting with Leslie Feist and her band. It didn't feel gimmicky at all, and it was a phenomenal presentation.

(photos via Frank of chromewaves.net)

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:05 am

Cool pics! I caught a live act of Hoobastank out in Burbank yesterday and they did a pretty good act. I only heard their latest album a few times but it's really growing on me. It's funny how everyone knows them from "The Reason" but their music is not really the type people expect from hearing that song.

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:13 am

Kazu

you think he'll still be there in July :?:
I would love to catch that dude.
Visit the GK Movie Watch Blog at www.Galaxykid.blogspot.com

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:38 am

I think he'll be there for a looong time.

neil

Post by neil » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:35 pm

Kean, that looks great! Wish I could have been there...

And Kazu, that's terrific, I've really liked Jon Brion's stuff for a while.

Well if all goes according to plan, I'm going to see Devendra Banhart tomorrow, and Iron & Wine at the end of the month. 8) I'll try to take some good pictures.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:56 pm

Nice! I'm jealous!

jen

Post by jen » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:41 am

Yo, those of you going to Comic Con, Sufjan Stevens is playing at The Casbah in San Diego on July 23rd (the Friday of the con). Joanna Newsom is also playing I think. Vera and I really wanna go, but we may need concert buddies for rides and all that. Also so we won't be lonely concert losers.

Anyone? All ya'll who missed him first time round, here's your second chance.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:34 am

Jen, that sounds great. I'm down to go. I'll probably be bussing everyone around anyway... :D

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:47 am

I don't know you guys yet, but I'd be willing to join you for this cool night if you'll have me. Plus I have a ride :wink:

neil

Post by neil » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:37 pm

jen wrote:Yo, those of you going to Comic Con, Sufjan Stevens is playing at The Casbah in San Diego on July 23rd (the Friday of the con). Joanna Newsom is also playing I think. Vera and I really wanna go, but we may need concert buddies for rides and all that. Also so we won't be lonely concert losers.
I will most definitely go with you. I missed my first chance to see Sufjan--stupid finals! I likely won't have a car but oh well. And that'd be great Johnny Mercury (Ariel is it?)! [edit: oh i didn't see Kazu's note--ok so between Kazu and Ariel(?) we're set!]

Yesterday I saw Devendra Banhart, Vetiver, and Joanna Newsom play in Pittsburgh. Vetiver was very nice, but maybe a little too "precious"? The first 3 or 4 songs really had me, but after that it seemed kinda long. I'd definitely like to check out their music though, see if I can get more into it. Joanna Newsom blew me away. I linked some of her music on my site if you want to check it out. She was funny and brilliantly sincere. As for Devendra Banhart.. Much like the Wrens, it felt like his act was about 10 minutes long. He was really amazing, just a terrific live performer. It's also really exciting to hear the songs from his first album--because they were recorded in loving low fidelity, there's just no comparison to how nice it sounds live. He's completely charged, and a little crazy. "High on life," I think they say.

neil

Post by neil » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:04 pm

Neil wrote:I linked some of her music on my site if you want to check it out.
Oh, you can also hear two other tracks on her site, http://walnutwhales.com. It's all good!

Johnny Neat

Post by Johnny Neat » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:21 pm

Yeup I'm down Neil :)
Argh and my name is on the board again :!:

My cover is blown again hehehe...
I'm incognito man... incognito 8)

I'm semi-kidding of course.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:07 am

Sure. Count me in for a little Sufjan too. Soccer Mom Kazu can drive us around! Yay!

Although, we must also find a place that will involve a little shaking of the booty. I will probably feel the need to shake it a little while I'm down there.

jen

Post by jen » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:17 pm

Alright, Sufjan buddies!
Joanna Newsom blew me away.
Aw, that makes me excited. I haven't heard a lot of her, but what I have I really really like. Man, what a cutie.