adventures in live music

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:47 pm

If there's anyone going to this, I highly recommend you check out Wolf Parade. Their stage presence is incredible, and I should also mention that I suspect that Wolf Parade is going to be the next Arcade Fire in early 2005 with the release of their first LP.

Also, I would give someone's right arm to be able to see Lou Reed live.

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:47 am

Kean wrote: Also, I would give someone's right arm to be able to see Lou Reed live.
But not your own? tee hee!

Also for those in Southern California, there's a free show from KROQ 106.7 at the Best Buy in the city of Orange (orange county). The Donnas and My Chemical Romance will be playing. And if you listen to KROQ, all the kroq jocks will be signing their annual calendar too from noon to 5pm.
My name is Dave.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:11 am

excerpt from a journal sketch:

I caught this show last weekend with one of my roommates. I missed TV on the Radio the last time they were in town, so I wanted to make sure I caught them this time (I had only heard one or two songs by The Faint, most notably their music video for "Agenda: Suicide"). Both groups put on a great show. TotR seemed to improvise a lot with their songs, and built up a lot of great energy and atmosphere with their set. The Faint had a much flashier performance, but they got the crowd hopping, and Tony and I had a lot of fun dancing and jumping around.

I'd also been having a stressful week prior to this, so this was one of those shows that was perfecty timed for me to let off some steam. 8)

(slightly larger version of the sketch here)
i heard rumors, he was into
http://jae.imperialotter.com/

Niall

Post by Niall » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:12 pm

I saw Cake last night, that was really fun, the decemberists were supporting, and they were pretty cool too.

Vera

Post by Vera » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:14 pm

I saw TV on the Radio with the Faint when they were in Toronto. The afro fella was wearing a tiny pink babydoll tshirt, it was the best thing I ever saw. I got to talk to Tunde afterwards, too. :)

You know who else is real good live? Do Make Say Think. There's like fifty of them and at least one of them has a mustache.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:40 am

No more concerts for me this year. Some of the acts I caught this past month (links are to photos from the show -- taken by Frank of Chromewaves.net):

Ted Leo and The Pharmacists (and a smackload of opening bands)
Stars

...and, oh yeah, Honey Dear! Woo!!!

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:01 pm

I caught the Killers at their hometown show December 30 at the House of Blues in Las Vegas. They were great. The opening band was Louis XIV (more foreign dignitary band names, I guess) and they were like the Killers meet the Strokes and the Kinks.
For those of you familiar with the Killers' song The Ballad of Michael Valentine, Mr. Valentine was at the show and actually did a set before The Killers took the stage. He was an ordinary looking, middle-aged guy who played the acoustic guitar and ukelele.
The Killers had a great stage presence and Brandon Flowers was nowhere near being as nervous looking as he was on Conan O'Brien a few weeks earlier. I hung around the venue after the show and ended up talking to Brandon's dad, the drummer, and the drummer's mother and sister-in-law. Small world. Great show.
Other shows from 2004
-Death Cab for Cutiex2 (with Pedro the Lion opening once)
-The Shins and the Fiery Furnaces
-The President of the United States of America

favorite all-time shows:
-Paul McCartney, two years ago
-Five Iron Frenzy
-Radiohead
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:29 pm

saw the dirty three yet again last thursday night.
yet another amazing show. the energy coming out of Warren Ellis (violin) is just awesome. Jim White (drums) is also so unorthodox in his drumming style but keeps it all going while Mick Turner (guitar) just keeps it all together in classy fashion.
they have yet to disappoint me...ever!

don't know how bands that are this good live don't have a bigger following, besides the same core group of followers. suppose being instrumental might affect that
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:49 pm

Last night I went to a concert that lasted SIX HOURS.

Ticket was $75 but it was all for charity and it was in a venue that was twice the size of a movie theater (Gibson Ampitheater in Universal City). Pretty awesome show.

Here was the lineup:

5pm -- Nada Surf
5:30pm -- Hot Hot Heat
6pm -- Death Cab For Cutie
6:35pm -- The Bravery
7:10pm -- Jack Johnson
8:05pm -- White Stripes
9pm -- Coldplay
10pm -- Depeche Mode

The show ended a little after 11pm and I was wiped out. I took photos so I'll post that with a quick review when I get it all uploaded.
My name is Dave.

agremar

Post by agremar » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:50 pm

Just saw the Polysicks at the Knitting Factory. Man, they rocked so hard the floor felt like it turned to water because everyone was jumping up and down so much. Defnitely a band to see live.

bluebottle

Post by bluebottle » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:54 am

saw Bonnie 'Prince' Billy recently
follow address below for a graphic review i did of it

http://www.abc.net.au/dig/stories/s1575595.htm

c&c welcome for this

-d
'something really witty/funny or profound here!'

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:29 pm

Kean wrote: Some of the acts I caught this past month (links are to photos from the show -- taken by Frank of Chromewaves.net):

Ted Leo and The Pharmacists (and a smackload of opening bands)
Stars
I'm soooooo jealous you got to see stars! I heard theyre amazing live.

I've wanted to see them and Sufjan FOREVER. Nobody ever comes to Rhode Island!! :(