Please tell me what to listen to

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
jdalton

Post by jdalton » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:58 pm

Wow. Well, I've got a lot of homework to do now, don't I?

I've heard stuff like Gnarles Barkley on the radio, and even though the music's not bad, the lyrics are very ordinary. Part of my problem is that I get hung-up on lyrics for otherwise very fine songs. Afro Celt Sound System sounds interesting (at least based on the name!). I'll look them up. I had a friend try to turn me on to Jeff Buckley, but I thought it was only okay. Unearthed looks interesting. I might just buy that.

As for Cantopop, Karen Mok is the only one whose music has really stuck with me though I have a Coco Li CD as well (usually I prefer the Mandarin over the Cantonese, as I have at least a passing chance of understanding it). Even with Karen Mok, though, as soon as I sit down and try to translate the lyrics, I am usually greatly disappointed. I've heard that there's a very interesting underground rock scene in Beijing. I would love to be able to hear some of that.

EDIT: I take back everything I just said about Jeff Buckley. I just listened to his stuff again, and yeah. It's growing on me.
Jonathon Dalton
Image Image

tongari

Post by tongari » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:36 am

Mr Children are my favourite band <3 they have amazing, very touching songs (although 'Surrender' was so devasating they stopped playing it live, people were committing suicide after listening to it). You can find great lyric translations at centigrade-j.com.

I am out of touch with all other kinds of music except for random stuff with fantastic beats by Royskopp, Chicane, Goldfrapp, The Knife, m-flo (also Japanese, but their English is pretty passable and aside from that these guys are insane xD) and Clazziquai (Korean).

There is also a very cute, twee, techno-poppish Chinese band called My Little Airport, although I haven't heard anything out of them for a while.

Mikael P.

Post by Mikael P. » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:41 pm

I second Laleh, that is a woman everyone should listen to.
If you are into lyrics, Cloud Cult is a wonderful band. Fantastic music too. Read up on the life of the main guy behind it and you will be hard pushed to find something as strong.
If you want something more mellow try Susanna and the magical orchestra.