Great Canadian Music

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
montadrew

Great Canadian Music

Post by montadrew » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:59 pm

Last weekend the Canadian version of the Grammys were on TV (the Junos) and it got me to thinking about great canadian music. Because i live London Ontario and we quite frequently get a whole mess of great canadian bands, big and small, i though i'd make a post about them and see if you knew any, and if you don't CHECK THEM out.

here are ONLY ten, in no particular order...
1. Broken Social Scene
2.Metric
3.Controller Controller
3.Stars
4.The Stills
5.The Weakerthans (pretty sure they're canadian)
6.Magneta Lane (not MAGENTA)
7.Tragically Hip
8.Feist
9.The Arcade Fire
10.The Dears

if you know anymore good ones... post'em!

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:10 am

I am head over heels in love with Stars. They're def in my top ten favorite bands ever.

Nunumi

Post by Nunumi » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:02 pm

>___< The Arcade Fire soooo rules! I'm listening to their stuff days and nights.
Broken Social Scenes too!

Have you ever heard about a band called Wolf Parade? They're from Montreal and they do a music quite similar to the Arcade Fire. They are awsome!!! O_O Their first CD was released last autumn I think. Check it out! ^^

Inky

Post by Inky » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:32 pm

Heh, Theory of a Deadman/Nickelback for me.

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:23 pm

Rush.
Canada's loudest band. ;)

Nunumi

Post by Nunumi » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:54 am

I saw a couple of weeks ago a Montreal band named Islands. They're doing brilliant music!! They realesed their first album this spring I think. Some of the band members used to be in The Unicorns before they disbanded. (awsome music too!)

Everyone, listen to them, they're worth it!

agremar

Post by agremar » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:43 pm

I was visiting Montreal a few weeks ago and heard the band Pony Up! I'd check them out, they have some good songs.

Nunumi

Post by Nunumi » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:25 pm

oh yeah! thanks for the suggestion! Montreal is soooo full of great indie music band!! O_O I whish I knew that when I was living there >__< ahhhh!! pain!

Sarah Mensinga

Post by Sarah Mensinga » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:25 am

I really like Matthew Good (Band). He's not as big as he used to be, but his tunes are so sad/pretty.

kyubikitsy

Post by kyubikitsy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:13 pm

How about Our Lady Peace?

I had a Canadian roommate once~ :D Quite the eye opener~ ^^

Lestrade

Post by Lestrade » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:49 pm

There's a lot of discussion of better-known or immediately popular bands, so I wanted to shed some light on some not-quite-famous-yet talents from here in the Great White North.

Anson Dremit
Vulnerable, quirky Canadian folk. His songs range from bizarre tales of true experiences ("Larium") to musings on our environment ("Rogue Primate"). Recommended starters: "Rogue Primate," "Tokyo Runner."

Wazookaa (MySpace page with streaming music)
Yeah, I won't lie. It's my brother. Winnipeg-based fucking rock is the best way to describe it. Tuneful, relentless, tight as all hell. This isn't meandering-in-the-cafe-in-your-distressed-jeans music, this is I-wrangle-bulls-on-occasion, straight-from-the-hip rock. Sometimes my brother is a real dick, but I never dislike his music. Recommended starters: all three tracks on the above-linked page.

Convertible Robots
Sadly now-defunct, this Toronto-based gruesome twosome eschewed single-frenzies for honest-to-god story books. Their albums often came with a 20+ page tome and between-song narration, and encapsulated a unique concept with each disc. Their big contribution to Toronto music was proving to electricity-frightened Canadians that electronic music can indeed fucking rock. Recommended starters: "Gypsophelia Armed," "Hair-on-Amputated Deer-Leg." Oh, and "I Love Jonah Roberts," if you can find it or are a Canadian culture-phile.

Dissolution (MySpace page with streaming music)
More from Winnipeg, but this time metal. And by metal, I don't mean check-my-perm metal; I mean holy shit metal. Fast, mean, brutal, and occasionally covering videogames (hope you like Castlevania), this is music to speed up any lonely, aimless afternoon—a perfect time for sifting through the dense sound and maddening precision riffs.
BenjaminRivers.com - Illustration | Comics | Joy

Scott Hallett

Post by Scott Hallett » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:56 pm

Man oh man, am I in love with the band Wintersleep these days! Certainly worth checking out.