Sigur Ros

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
Iaster

Sigur Ros

Post by Iaster » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:53 pm

If you haven't heard of this band, you should. They are all kinds of fantastic. They're an Icelandic band that gained popularity a while back by touring with Radiohead. Some call them "ambient" (and they certainly have a huge minimalist influence), or "post-rock"... whatever you call them, they are very innovative and write some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard.

Here are a couple places you can listen to them:

I recommend "Svefn-G-Englar" at:
http://www.epitonic.com/artists/sigurros.html

Also: "Untitled #1" (at bottom of page), "Untitled #4", and "olsen olsen" at:
http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/media/

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:44 pm

I found out about him through The Life Aquatic. Stralafur is the song playing during the shark encounter. He's awesome (-:

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:09 am

Sigur Ros's album is a wonderfully chilled out collection of tracks. 'Svefn-G-Englar' is indeed a very good track, though I think my favourite would have to be 'Staraflur'; so graceful. :)

I haven't actually checked in on this guy in ages, I wonder if he has any new material. The album with 'Svefn-G-Englar' and 'Staraflur' has been out quite some time now.

Iaster

Post by Iaster » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:59 pm

They've actually done 2 albums since those hits. They did their untitled or "()" album, and they just came out with a new one called "takk" which is Icelandic for Thank you. They are all brilliant albums that get better every time you listen to them.

PuzzleShift

Post by PuzzleShift » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:47 pm

See them live if you can. I caught them in Denver in February and it was an unbelievable experience. It's in my top three shows, beaten only by Massive Attack in May.

Greatnation

Post by Greatnation » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:26 am

I got into these guys a couple years ago, when Agaetis Byrjun (however the hell thats spelled...) was released. That albumn had me hooked for a good month. Everything else has beeng reat of theres, () and Takk or incredibly darker than Agaetis. Try finding some of there music videos, they are way out there. Saw them in concert i think back in October, though it may have been earlier. Just an amazing show, not much to say on it other than that.

They also relreleased their first albumn Von, and its ok- not really anywhere with the other albumns IMO.

If you dig em, try checking out Godspeed You Black Emperor, Mogwai, and Do Make Say Think. All very different sounds, but similar in progression and structure. Good music to fall asleep to.

PuzzleShift

Post by PuzzleShift » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:44 pm

Von is just an entirely different animal than the rest of their catalog, and I think it is incredible for what it is and for the mood that it invokes.

The Limey

Post by The Limey » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:33 pm

As dark as it is, Takk has some of the prettiest music they've made. If I ran the universe, Hoppipolla would be the song they play in malls every Christmas.

As an aside, if you like music by high voiced European types, you might also enjoy Mew. Much more of a rock band (veering towards prog, in fact, with weird time signatures and bursts of dissonance), but with a similar sense of beauty and dynamics. Their album "...and the Glass Handed Kites" just came out and, well, it's pretty awesome.
"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness", Pablo Picasso