White Stripes --- Get Behind Me Satan

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.

Imagine you are a very poor college student and that you had to decide between buying only one of these things

White Stripes - Get Behind me Satan
25%
Earth Boy Jacobus
75%

Total votes: 8

Tylersaurous

White Stripes --- Get Behind Me Satan

Post by Tylersaurous » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:13 pm

I havent heard anything on this album yet except for the song Blue Orchid. I saw the music video for it and really dug it. Anyways I was at Best Buy today and spent some time gazing at this album wondering if I should buy it... while at the same time recalling that I am super poor... I was perplexed. I also wanted to buy Earth Boy Jacobus... (sigh)

Anyways has anyone here been listening to the album? If so what are your two cents?
i knows it's spelled wrong! i'm just alphabetically apathetic

http://www.tylersaurous.com

matt spangler

Post by matt spangler » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:27 pm

the white stripes album is a landmark album for both the group and rock. I really dig the variety and the sound they have come to develop. I would get the white stripes if you liked and have their other albums...to be honest i have never heard/seen the Earth Boy Jacobus album

douglas a. bot

Post by douglas a. bot » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:47 pm

Get Elvis to push someone over in the mall, steal their money and buy both. Problem SOLVED!

Stripes album is very very good. Took me a listen or three to get into it but it's a great follow up to Elephant.

Clank

Post by Clank » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:46 pm

lunarc wrote:to be honest i have never heard/seen the Earth Boy Jacobus album
I grimaced when I saw that, Lunarc... Earthboy Jacobus is a graphic novel by Doug TenNapel, not an album. It's okay, though. We forgive you. :D

I would go with Earthboy Jacobus, Tyler.

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:00 pm

I have both, am a big fan of both, and would say that you should get Earthboy. TenNapel took his work to a new level with this and certainly deserves your patronage. It's my favorite work by him so far (I have everything he's done) Yes, I am biased, since I do not know Jack or Meg White, but, in all seriousness, buy Earthboy. You can check out Get Behind Me Satan any ol' other time. Be the first on your block, beat out the other hipsters, and show them what's up. Jack White will forgive you. Were it just about any other comic, I'd say go with the Stripes, but not on this occasion.
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:51 am

I posted a review of EBJ over on my blog.

TenNapeltron

Post by TenNapeltron » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:15 am

If you even have to think about it, buy the White Stripes, because you're a moron with your purchasing priorities so far out of whack I don't want you among my readership.
"Art for art's sake is a philosophy of the well fed." - Frank Lloyd Wright

AgentHelix

Post by AgentHelix » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:27 am

TenNapeltron wrote:If you even have to think about it, buy the White Stripes, because you're a moron with your purchasing priorities so far out of whack I don't want you among my readership.
Yikes.

TenNapeltron

Post by TenNapeltron » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:40 pm

Yup.

Tylersaurous

Post by Tylersaurous » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:52 am

Ok ok I get the picture. Wait on the White Stripes. Go without food for the next week so I can afford to buy EBJ and so that Doug can thusly afford to buy more hamburgers. I hope these purchasing priorities are more sensible than my last ones.

...want food

TenNapeltron

Post by TenNapeltron » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:26 am

...I'll be sure and buy steak and lobster with the nickle I make off your book. I put 2 years of my life into a book that gives you hours of entertainment for 15 bucks, I make a nickle and you're getting the raw end of the deal?

deantrippe

Post by deantrippe » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:00 pm

TenNapeltron wrote:...I'll be sure and buy steak and lobster with the nickle I make off your book. I put 2 years of my life into a book that gives you hours of entertainment for 15 bucks, I make a nickle and you're getting the raw end of the deal?
Hahahahahahahahahaha! Oh man. I love this board. :)

Tylersaurous

Post by Tylersaurous » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:11 am

TenNapeltron wrote:...I'll be sure and buy steak and lobster with the nickle I make off your book. I put 2 years of my life into a book that gives you hours of entertainment for 15 bucks, I make a nickle and you're getting the raw end of the deal?
I plan on living off of raw celery for the next week so I can afford this book. I'm not complaining about spending $15 on your book, I am simply complaining about being as poor as dirt. I am very sorry that you are so burdened with talent and motivation. My father is a chemist and my mother enjoys eating cheerios and playing solitaire please be more understanding. :(

P.S. My aunt gave me a gift certificate to Red Lobster for my birthday, If you are ever in the Minneapolis area I would gladly spend my gift certificate on a lobster for you.

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:23 pm

I guess it's a good thing I know Doug, then, since I have all his work and he's bought me a few meals.

Kazu
Site Admin

Post by Kazu » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:28 pm

You know, it would be harder to pirate Earthboy Jacobus. Not saying you should steal music or anything, but I imagine even the Whites wouldn't want you to be both poor as dirt AND bored. ;)

Support the graphic novel, man. It also happens to be some great stuff.