What are you listening to...

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
Nofret

Post by Nofret » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:03 pm

Listening to Tori Amos' new album, The Beekeeper. Much quieter than her past work, makes for a nice smooth album to work to.

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:36 am

ah yes, 'the power of orange knickers'. It seems her work has become mellower since she had her kid, not that I have a problem with that.

T-lapia

Post by T-lapia » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:12 am

pepper- give it up why dont u have some dirty hot sex with me :twisted:

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:53 pm

I haven't yet listened to The Beekeeper, but I heard from a few Toriphiles that it's almost like Little Earthquakes Lite, and not in a good way... I've been a fan of Tori for a long time now, but I honestly felt that everything she did after Choirgirl was completely inscrutable and/or uninteresting (except for Scarlet's Walk, which I thought was a return to form -- Sept. 11th certainly focused a lot of musicians back to their former selves, I could point to Springsteen's The Rising as another example).

Currently on heavy rotation: Coldplay's "Talk," a bunch of Junior Senior cuts ("Itch U Can't Scratch" is rocking my world), the Kidz Bop version of "Float On," and more from Fiona Apple's unreleased record.

kamikazestyle

Post by kamikazestyle » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:04 pm

new coldplay track "talk"
new gorillaz track "feel good inc."
new 50cent cd

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:16 pm

Dammit, this Starbucks CD looks so good, but I cannot purchase it out of good principle. It's got everyone from M Ward, Calexico, Joseph Arthur, Neko Case, etc. covering all sorts of love songs (The Smiths and Joy Division, just to name a few).

R'John

Post by R'John » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:28 pm

new 50cent album as well...my thoughts on it,its alright,not the best album,but pretty good. I like disco inferno,position of power,I'm supposed to die tonight,gatman and robbin...so far,I'm still in the process of listening to the album for the first time. :wink:

becky

Post by becky » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:42 pm

massacre < get rich

i've been listening to a lot of epic symphonic metal, ok this is crucial:

RHAPSODY!!!! italian "hollywood" metal, they blend classical music with melodic metal. their music has an almost film-score sound. each cd is it's own story, the first five conclude the "symphony of enchanted lands" part 1 story arc. Part 2 just began in September with their cd "The Dark Secret", which Christopher Lee narrates. (Lee will also be singing on their new album which gets released at the end of this month, OMFG so excited!!!!)

check them out at http://mightyrhapsody.com

I was on a plane last week and I had a dream that Luca Turili (on the right!) was going to teach me how to play guitar :D

Some other amazing bands to check out are Dragonforce, Blind Guardian and Nile (a death metal band that sings about ancient egypt!)

THE GODS OF METAL OWN MY SOUL
life aint nothin but comics and money

PuzzleShift

Post by PuzzleShift » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:34 pm

Starflyer 59 - "Traffic Jam"

Anyone else here into these guys? Great indie rock. They've got a few recent songs up on Purevolume.

-PS

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:57 pm

Currently, it is Plumtree Predicts The Future, Elastica's BBC Radio 1 Sessions, and The Raveonettes' Pretty In Black all turned up LOUD.

dik pose

Post by dik pose » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:58 pm

Becky, I will check out that band you posted, I already like Blind Guardian and I have been listening to Nightwish recently...Fantasy Metal Rocks!!!

JonS

Post by JonS » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:40 pm

Tegan and Sara, awesome stuff. after listening to alot of their stuff, they've got a pretty wide range..alot of pop-ish songs, alot of more garage-y type songs, etc...
i like "Freedom" and "Superstar"

The Flaming Lips - for me, it's like the best drawing music ever. I love the song "She don't use Jelly"

Mariah Carey- Emancipation of Mimi : she's changed alot over the years, but if you listen closely, she really hasn't. i dig her music less, but she's still got the golden voice

Arcade Fire - I never really sat down and listened to them, always though they were a little mediocre. I finally got really into 'em. So yeah, rock on.

Kings of Convenience - Great coast-driving or wine-drinking music. Somehow it doesn't get old.

Secret Machines - awesome stuff

Feist - somehow very addictive and charming stuff

lameboi

Post by lameboi » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:38 am

Anyone listen to Seu Jorge? Even though its in Portugese, his music is great!

Also, i think The Killers are pretty good :wink:

Right now however, I'm listening to the new Jack Johnson, In Between Dreams and I am very impressed.

I also bought the new John Legend, just because I liked one track (Ordinary People), and I must say the CD really dissapointed me. Save yourself 20 bucks :cry:

There are some CDs that are 10 years old but I still listen to non-stop:
Smashing Pumpkins- Ava Adore and Siamese Dreams
Alicia Keys - Her first album (the second one wasnt that great :cry: )

Oh yeah, i dunno about you guys, but I cant wait until the new Backstreet Boys album comes out. I was a big fan back in the day. They are ... my fire.

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:17 pm

JonS wrote:Tegan and Sara, awesome stuff. after listening to alot of their stuff, they've got a pretty wide range..alot of pop-ish songs, alot of more garage-y type songs, etc...
i like "Freedom" and "Superstar"

Arcade Fire - I never really sat down and listened to them, always though they were a little mediocre. I finally got really into 'em. So yeah, rock on.
Where can I get some Tegan and Sarah? I'm going to see them open for the Killers in a few weeks and wanted to familiarize myself with them. Last time I saw them, in Vegas, Louis XIV opened for them, and put on a decent show.

Also, for those in the Pacific Northwest and can't make it Cochella, check out the website for Sasquatch Fest. Arcade Fire, Pixies, Modest Mouse, The Frames, Wilco, Kanye, and more.
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

Sketchy

Post by Sketchy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:22 pm

Ben Folds cover of "Bitches ain't Shit." Hillarious.
"I love you like a fat kid loves cake."
-50 Cent