What are you listening to...

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sun May 16, 2004 12:49 am

I've been listening to a lot of The Stills lately and also heard some tunes from a band Elefant for the first time today. I think I will buy it!
Last edited by Coheteboy on Mon May 17, 2004 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EQ

Post by EQ » Sun May 16, 2004 1:29 pm

Danger Mouse and Jemini, dope hip-hop, like it used to be back in 1994/5.

jose

Post by jose » Sun May 16, 2004 2:51 pm

Two Glasgow-based bands I've been in love with for about 3 months are Camera Obscura and Sons and Daughters.

Though they had some help from Stuart Murdoch on the first CD, Camera Obscura's second album, 'under achievers please try harder,' is fantastic, and in my opinion more exciting and fun than any of Belle and Sebastian's releases. Fans of the Smiths, Isobel Campbell, or good music in general will probably like these guys. It's a totally charming, cute record with a variety of musical influences, from doo wop to twee to Leonard Cohen.

Sons and Daughters are much more rockin'. I believe they include some people from Arab Strap, but I've yet to find an Arab Strap song I enjoy. Like Camera Obscura, there's a boy and girl singer in this band as well, but their songs seem more mature. Their CD 'Love the Cup' is great; I believe its supposed to be an homage to Johnny Cash, actually... They remind me of the Raveonettes or of The Strokes, but, I don't know, I think Sons and Daughters are the better musicians. Recently, www.brainwashed.com posted a live show, so if anyone's interested, you can probably see that there.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Mon May 17, 2004 9:25 am

Jose, I haven't had a chance to listen to Camera Obscura, but I've heard plenty of good things about them. They're definitely on my list of bands to check out, that's for sure.

Currently listening to: Crooked Finger's Red Devil Dawn. Indie/country rock flavoured stuff. Oh so good (you can check out some MP3s at their website: I highly recommend New Drink for the Old Drunk and You Can Never Leave).

jose

Post by jose » Tue May 18, 2004 9:46 pm

Kean, where do you find out about new music? Any sites worth mentioning, or do you buy tons of CDs? Just curious, because I like your taste in music!
Right now I'm on a library computer, but once my internet is connected, I'll check out Crooked Finger.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue May 18, 2004 10:44 pm

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know very much about music, but I'm willing to learn. I find most of this stuff surfing around on the web. I used to buy a lot of music, but now that I don't have a cushy job, I mostly grab stuff off of P2P networks (of course, I'll buy the artists' CDs whose work I enjoy whenever I can).

There are some key sites that I check on a regular basis that points me in the direction of new music, and those can be found on my links page, under the "music" section. I also have a friend that's much more knowledgable than I (she writes articles 'n' stuff for various music publications), and I'm exposed to a lot of new music that way also. And then there's always Bitchfork, which is a good resource, as long as you don't actually read their reviews. :roll:

Also, allmusic.com is like the IMDB of music. It's a great way to track down similar artists of a particular genre you might like, or to trace the roots of a particular band and all the resulting offshoots.

Probably the biggest thing for me about finding new music is being open to try new things, and being able to put up with listening to a lot of crap to find the stuff you really like.

[edit]: oh yeah, Epitonic and betterPropaganda are great for finding new things also (it's interesting to note that betterPropaganda was started up by the two guys that founded and then sold Epitonic to a big corporation -- it's that whole indie cred thing again).

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Sat May 22, 2004 10:43 pm

Listening to McLusky's The Difference Between Me And You Is That I'm Not On Fire at the moment. Haven't quite warmed up to it yet, but how can you not love a song with a title like "Without MSG I am Nothing?"

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Sun May 23, 2004 9:30 pm

I've been listening to John Williams' score for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for days now and I really really like it a lot! It does have a hint of E.T. and maybe Last Crusade but that's to be expected. It definitely sounds more grown up than even the previous two scores. What I'm happy to report is that the main Harry Potter theme has been kept to a minimum here. Mostly new themes. Thumbs up for me!

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue May 25, 2004 10:44 am

I've been listening to a lot of music lately as I work on my comic. Some albums from the long weekend:

Nat King Cole - Sus Mejores Canciones
Iron and Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
Elliott Smith - Roman Candle
Ben Gibbard & Andrew Kenny - Home V EP
Joseph Arthur - Live @ Brugge [14 Dec. 2003]
Cake - Fashion Nugget
Future Bible Heroes - I'm Lonely (And I Love It) EP
Peter Gabriel - The Long Walk Home
Mono - Under The Pipal Tree (I hear their latest album is awesome)

Phil McAndrew

Post by Phil McAndrew » Tue May 25, 2004 10:02 pm

Kean wrote: Cake - Fashion Nugget
i love that album. i haven't listened to any other cake albums though. are any of them worth listening to?

Coheteboy

Post by Coheteboy » Tue May 25, 2004 10:18 pm

HEADBOY wrote:
Kean wrote: Cake - Fashion Nugget
i love that album. i haven't listened to any other cake albums though. are any of them worth listening to?
I was about to say the same thing! I also absolutely love listening to Cake's Comfort Eagle and my guess is if you like any Cake at all, you'll probably like the rest.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed May 26, 2004 12:09 am

Bah. That's the only album I've ever heard from Cake also. It's a throwback from my high school days, so it's a wonder I even still own that CD (I sold many of my 'questionable' purchases years ago).

Niall

Post by Niall » Wed May 26, 2004 5:55 am

Comfort eagle is excellent, I don't think I've heard fashion nugget (it's not the one with the sheep go to heaven song on it, is it?) but comfort eagle is really good.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Wed May 26, 2004 7:17 pm

Nah. "Sheep Go To Heaven" was on the album after Fashion Nugget. Can't remember the name of that album off the top of my head, though.

I have rediscovered the joys of blasting DJ Tiesto on a brilliantly warm and sunny day. Disc 2 of his Nyana mix is just way too good. Head bopping prog trance fun for the entire family.

Kean
Site Admin

Post by Kean » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:40 pm

Hrm. The new PJ Harvey record (Uh Huh Her) is nice. I am also finding Nelly Furtado's Folklore strangely enticing, despite her nasally voice (which I usually find annoying in female singers). Must be the banjos. I'm a sucker for banjos.

[edit]: Also, the Cardigan's Long Gone Before Daylight is pretty cool too.