Built to Spill Update

Recommend albums, songs, bands, etc.
WillisDrummond

Built to Spill Update

Post by WillisDrummond » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:58 am

Just received this email this morning from the Built to Spill email news letter.
FROM THE ROAD WITH BUILT TO SPILL
Julie Muncy of Warner Bros. Records recently caught up with Doug Martsch to confirm rumors surrounding Built To Spill and a possible new album. Here's her full report...

_____

"Early Spring 2005

There is rumor. There are questions. More rumor and more questions! And so much chatter about the possibility of new Built To Spill music... Could it be?

We couldn't take it ourselves! The curiosity was killing us.

I immediately volunteered for the fact finding mission. It is true. All true. I went straight to the source: Doug Martsch.

Doug and the rest of the band answered our inquiry...

Current band line up:
Doug Martsch
Scott Plouf
Brett Nelson
Jim Roth

Producers?
The band, and “Steve + Jake”

Guests?
Sam Coombs on piano
Steve on vibes, percussion and more

New album?
They are currently “mixing” songs for the new album. This “mixing” includes spending long days in the studio: 12+hours, each band member adding his thoughts to the fine tuning of the music, some basketball, many cups of coffee and the more-than-occasional game of Bounty Hunter. (They kick ass!!)

Album release?
Fall 2005
Mike Scheer is currently working on the art/design.

Tour?
May - East Coast and Midwest
June + July - West Coast

And the grand finale... MUSIC. I heard music!!!

“Traces,” “Liar,” and “Conventional Wisdom” are the three songs I heard bits + pieces of. (Not sure if those are the “official” titles but that's what they're calling 'em) The band said that these are the “pop-y” songs and most of the album is filled with “rockers.” For those that saw the band play All Tomorrow's Party this year, you heard all of these. Nearly the whole set was new songs. In a nutshell, these songs sound like everything you would want them to: “Velvet Waltz,” “Else” with a bit of “Big Dipper.” Classic Built To Spill. The one song I heard in its entirety: “Traces”. It starts out with 3 or 4 minutes of pop song and turns into a sweeping jam that lasts for just as long. The Scott + Brett drum/bass partnership provides the ultimate foundation for Doug + Jim's guitars to soar in the second half of the song.

Can't wait to hear the rest.

There you have it…enough info to soothe those burning questions.

Julie Muncy
Warner Bros. Records
In Soviet Russia, television watches you.

Yuikio

Post by Yuikio » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:48 pm

Oh my God. Awesome. Built to Spill has got to be one of my favorite bands...I'm listening to "Still Flat" from "The Normal Years" as I write this.

Man, I'm excited now.

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:34 pm

BTS has also announced tour dates, which can be found at www.builttospill.com

Yuikio

Post by Yuikio » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:33 pm

May 27 and 28. I am there.

Thanks alot, Willis.

Walter

Post by Walter » Sun May 01, 2005 1:56 am

july 10th in san diego

tell me, what's their sound like?

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Sun May 01, 2005 7:00 am

Yuikio wrote:May 27 and 28. I am there.

Thanks alot, Willis.
Helping out fellow BTS fans is a pleasure.

What do they sound like? I could be totally off, but almost a mixture of Pavement and Dinosaur Jr. Great melodic pop sensibility, while throwing song structure out the window in favor of some of the most inspired guitar work I've heard. Good albums to start with are There's Nothing Wrong with Love and Keep It Like a Secret.

Anyone disagree?

Olerud

Post by Olerud » Sun May 08, 2005 5:53 pm

No Tampa date. Blows.

Yuikio

Post by Yuikio » Mon May 09, 2005 8:38 pm

WillisDrummond wrote:
Yuikio wrote:May 27 and 28. I am there.

Thanks alot, Willis.
Helping out fellow BTS fans is a pleasure.

What do they sound like? I could be totally off, but almost a mixture of Pavement and Dinosaur Jr. Great melodic pop sensibility, while throwing song structure out the window in favor of some of the most inspired guitar work I've heard. Good albums to start with are There's Nothing Wrong with Love and Keep It Like a Secret.

Anyone disagree?
I think Pavement is right on, but BTS's lyrics are less deep (not in a bad way) and they're overall more pop-y.

Doug Martsch (spelling?) has a very unique sound on the guitar. It reminds me of no other guitarist that I have heard.
I'm not sure about Dinosaur Jr, I've never really listened to them. If they're one half of Built to Spill, though, I'm all over it. :)

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Tue May 10, 2005 7:41 am

Dinosaur Jr is more structured than BTS and Pavement. I'd agree that Pavement's lyrics tend to be more personal than BTS's, but I'd say they both have the same amount of quirk.

Butcher Blind

Post by Butcher Blind » Thu May 19, 2005 8:06 am

Oh WOW!
Best rock show ever!
I saw Built To Spill last night!
It was amazing!

They were incredible! Wonderful performance.
They played allmost all my favourite songs, but not their famous live version of cortez the killer.
Seriousely recomended, but the opening band wasnt very good. They were a progish band with trite lyrics and unimpressive music, overall a bit above average.

I liked that they started with the song Built To Spill and ended with Stop The Show.

PS: id recomend listening to Perfect From Now On most, but they are al great.

Yuikio

Post by Yuikio » Mon May 30, 2005 4:26 pm

My show was pretty great, too. After every song they would all start fiddling with their guitars, drinking bottled water, blowing their nose (Doug), smoking and conversing, which started to piss off the drunk people in the crowd. I thought it was funny, and was wondering if they did it at their other shows? They would act like they didn't know which song to play next, or they'd play a couple bars and quit, and deliberate some more.

But when they busted into "Dystopian Dream Girl," and "The Plan," and "Strange," the crowd flipped out. It was amazing.

WillisDrummond

Post by WillisDrummond » Tue May 31, 2005 10:45 pm

Yuikio wrote:My show was pretty great, too. After every song they would all start fiddling with their guitars, drinking bottled water, blowing their nose (Doug), smoking and conversing, which started to piss off the drunk people in the crowd. I thought it was funny, and was wondering if they did it at their other shows? They would act like they didn't know which song to play next, or they'd play a couple bars and quit, and deliberate some more.

But when they busted into "Dystopian Dream Girl," and "The Plan," and "Strange," the crowd flipped out. It was amazing.
I am most envious. I'm going to have to miss them TWICE this summer. I'm so happy to hear they're playing some old stuff, even if I won't get to hear it. I got to see them before I started listening to them, so I didn't appreciate it as I would now. I did get to hear them close with Cortez the Killer, though. I'd pay cash money to hear Stop the Show and The Plan, though. The live version of Stop the Show from their official live album knocks me out. Three guitarists at once... whew.